double die reverse indian head? 1895

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd like a second opinion. What do you guys think? Look at the top left of the shield and in a few other areas.
IH.jpg

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I my opinion (don't quote me on this), I say it is a double die. All the characteristics are there. I just wish there wasn't as much dirt in the crevices, or it would be much easier to tell. I don't know if it is listed in the Cherrypicker's Guide, but you could check; mine is outdated. It may be a new variety.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When discussing doubling on an Indian head cent it is important to remember what is known as Longacre doubling.

While Longacre's doubling is most associated with the Indian Head Cent. It is also found on the Seated Liberty denominations and other coins of that era.

There are two theories for Longacreā€™s doubling. The first, which is most popular, is that the master die was placed into the die steel to form the master die. To add details to the die, the engraver would then shave the sides of the punch used to add design elements, leaving a lip on that punchā€™s sides. The engraver would then conduct an extra hard hit to the punch leaving the shaved sides effects into the die. The effect would eventually wear off as the master die did age, which is why not all coins from a particular working die would have the Longacreā€™s doubling.

This is the second scenario. After adding the design elements to the master die, the engraver would move the punch slightlyand tap it again. This would produce a ā€˜lipā€™ on the die, and the effect would make the metal flow into the punched in design elements more readily. In theory, this would also have prolonged the dieā€™s life.
The image below shows Longeracre's doubling on the word UNITED on an 1883 Indian Head Cent.

48740828.JPG

Source..... http://www.error-ref.com/longacre-s-doubling.html

That being said Im more inclined to say machine doubling because ONE CENT seems to be entirely unaffected anyhow Longacre doubling is very common and carries no premium.....:icon_study:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions