62 KB · Views: 246
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 265

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
I will take a closer look and weigh in later, but I will say, don't expect a sea-salvaged coin to have exact weight. Some of the coins that I have conserved, we call razors. They are literally so thin that they will cut you. These are the outer edge of the clumps. After breaking up a clump, we'll have various coins that will vary in weight and we'll cherrypick the best to sell to collectors at a premium. The rest go to the tourists (still at premium, but not worth what they pay for them).

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diver, I am anxious to find out what I have....is it common for the two coins to ring differently?
Thank you for considering whether they are real or ??
FYI I paid $90 for pair....bad deal or good deal?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As Diver Down mentioned, I've seen real ones thinner than yours. Start with a magnet, then proceed to an acid test. Weight and diameter probably won't mean a whole lot on very worn or shipwreck coins.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
As Diver Down mentioned, I've seen real ones thinner than yours. Start with a magnet, then proceed to an acid test. Weight and diameter probably won't mean a whole lot on very worn or shipwreck coins.

Absent of better pictures, I can't say definitively they are real. I will say that there is no obvious details that scream counterfeit. Go ahead and perform the aforementioned tests. You won't detract from their value as they are low grade specimens. I would not be concerned about weights. As far as a good deal? If you like them, then it is good deal. I, myself, would have applied the funds to a singular specimen. The story behind the Cazador is an important one as it relates to our Nation and it's current boundaries.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I have to think that someone going to the trouble of counterfeiting 8 Reale coins would pick a date other than 1783. Something like 250,000 of these coins, all freshly minted in Mexico City, and all dated 1783, were pulled up from the El Cazador site back in the 90's. The quantity flooded the market, causing the collector value for that particular date and mint to approach melt at the time (Yes, I have one, myself - paid about $30 for it). For that reason, alone, I would have to guess your's are authentic.

You mentioned a difference in the "ring tones" of the two coins. Being underwater for that length of time can have an effect on the density of silver, possibly accounting for the different "tones." In any event, the simple tests suggested above should give you a fairly accurate answer.

Last edited:

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
As Diver_Down mentioned, the wreck, and it's impact on American history, makes the coins worth owning for that reason alone. If you haven't done so already, you should Google the El Cazador history "The shipwreck that changed the world"

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Novice question...will the acid test tell me if is silver, and if so, would that lead to, confirming authenticity.
If date is correct, then not worth being graded, but still nice to have.....
How does one do the acid test?
Thanks for all of good advice from all of you.....

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
A jeweler or pawn shop will the have the acid kit to test for silver content. You can also pick up a test kit on EBay for a reasonable price. A fake would likely (but not for certain) be some base metal, not silver.

I, too, have seen the identical souvenir packaging, time and time again.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I will do the test....if it turns out silver..I will let you know thanks again

OP
OP
J

Jyorsky

Sep 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO
AT GOLD
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the two 8 reales, to pawn shop, and they said beyond doubt, they are silver, so looks like coins are legit, good adder for my modest collection......

Should I get them graded as authentic???

Last edited:

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they test them? Not so sure id trust a pawn shop 100% unless they tested them in front of me
If so congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the two 8 reales, to pawn shop, and they said beyond doubt, they are silver, so looks like coins are legit, good adder for my modest collection......

Should I get them graded as authentic???

I wouldnt - you will never get your money back at the price you paid for them.

TheCoinKid

Apr 16, 2013
Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Glad they're silver. I agree with Joe, the coins aren't worth enough to incur the cost of grading. I see no reason to doubt authenticity.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread