Holiday - prices rising?

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Quick question - have you all noticed that coin prices are actually higher than say 6 months ago? With silver dropping I would have expected most prices to come down. I buy a fair number of coins on Ebay but even circulated silver coins don't seems to have come down at all with Silver. Being fairly new to this any insight into why is appreciated. I'm having a hard time finding anything that I feel is priced right. I used to be able to find one or two items a day that were being 'undervalued' in my opinion. The last couple weeks I'm having trouble finding one a week.

Thanks.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in Winston-Salem yesterday, had given my son-in-law 50 silver dimes for his Christmas present - and then of course we got into a very long discussion of silver coin pricing. I gave him a link to melt values, and we went through several pages on Ebay to compare melt value with asking prices, hopefully educating him on the tricks and incidental expenses like shipping.

We went touring through Craigslist, and found an ad for quarters at 16x face. Okay, figure spot melt value of a quarter is $3.62. Take 4 quarters @ 16x face would be $16.00. 4x 3.62 = $14.48. That's a buck 52 premium, or slightly over 10%. You're always going to pay a bit of a premium, I don't believe there's any real suckers left after over 34 years of a booming silver market.

So, with the intent of long term, and silver to rise again soon, I considered that a good purchase - though we did not pursue it. The main intent of the exercise was to educate my son-in-law.

And, let the buyer beware as well - a Craigslist incident from several weeks ago.

Saw a local ad, I looked at the deal, felt it was a tad high, and responded with a counter.

The individual responded back with a figure. I accepted the deal and noted we'd want to meet in public, and I would want to count the coins and check them out.

Never received a response from him again, and the ad continued to run, though it's now off but a little different ad now from the same individual.

Left me wondering if he was legit or not. Did the fact that I wanted to see and count the coins expose him?

Keep the faith, and let the buyer beware!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Quick question - have you all noticed that coin prices are actually higher than say 6 months ago? With silver dropping I would have expected most prices to come down. I buy a fair number of coins on Ebay but even circulated silver coins don't seems to have come down at all with Silver. Being fairly new to this any insight into why is appreciated. I'm having a hard time finding anything that I feel is priced right. I used to be able to find one or two items a day that were being 'undervalued' in my opinion. The last couple weeks I'm having trouble finding one a week.

Thanks.

At this time of the year, it is a fairly common occurrence for Silver Coins to continue to rise in value even though Silver Spot prices stay the same or drop somewhat. Silver Coins, Proof Sets, Mint Sets and many other Coin sets are given to kids or Collectors this time of years as Christmas presents and thus the demand is high for these as well as the prices high. As long as Silver remains fairly stable or drops in the next couple of months, we should see the prices for these go down and probably reach the Year's low in March give or take a month or two!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was in Winston-Salem yesterday, had given my son-in-law 50 silver dimes for his Christmas present - and then of course we got into a very long discussion of silver coin pricing. I gave him a link to melt values, and we went through several pages on Ebay to compare melt value with asking prices, hopefully educating him on the tricks and incidental expenses like shipping.

We went touring through Craigslist, and found an ad for quarters at 16x face. Okay, figure spot melt value of a quarter is $3.62. Take 4 quarters @ 16x face would be $16.00. 4x 3.62 = $14.48. That's a buck 52 premium, or slightly over 10%. You're always going to pay a bit of a premium, I don't believe there's any real suckers left after over 34 years of a booming silver market.

So, with the intent of long term, and silver to rise again soon, I considered that a good purchase - though we did not pursue it. The main intent of the exercise was to educate my son-in-law.

And, let the buyer beware as well - a Craigslist incident from several weeks ago.

Saw a local ad, I looked at the deal, felt it was a tad high, and responded with a counter.

The individual responded back with a figure. I accepted the deal and noted we'd want to meet in public, and I would want to count the coins and check them out.

Never received a response from him again, and the ad continued to run, though it's now off but a little different ad now from the same individual.

Left me wondering if he was legit or not. Did the fact that I wanted to see and count the coins expose him?

Good post! Everyone should be careful when responding to Craigslist Ads. Never give out your address or full name and require that you and the Buyer or Seller (depending upon whether you are the one selling or the one buying) meet you in a public place such as a restaurant, store or even in a shop. Some unsavory folks troll Craigslist by using fake For Sale Ads to rob unsuspecting persons and others use the For Sale Ads of other folks to gain information of where you live, so that they can steal from you. I am usually very careful but sometimes am too trusting of a voice over the phone! I have had a few times when someone would inquire about something I had for sale and because they sounded trustful, I gave them my' address as they stated they would stop by. Well, they never stopped by but I would notice one or more vehicles crusing slowly past my' home several times or more over one or two days. These folks are looking for you to leave, so that they can break into your' home and steal the item(s) you are selling and usually much more. Due to problems with thieves in the past, I keep a close watch out, take down license tag numbers as well as the Model, Make and Year of cars that are suspicious. When the opportunity presents itself, I will take close-up pics of the License Plate as well as the car and occupants if possible with my' Canon Camera and Telephoto lens. On more than one occasion, this extra vigilance has helped Law Enforcement get some unsavory folks off the street.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri

16x face right now seems very reasonable right now for 90%, but I'm having a hard time finding that. I've never tried Craigslist, I'll have to check that out. There's a LCS nearby that's been closed due to holidays / relocation but will reopen on Monday. If I can find 90% there for 16x I'll be happy. I'll likely buy some 90% from APMEX or Provident in January, but I'm a little leery about buying anything like this sight-unseen.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread