Trying a different method of picture taking. Comments welcomed!!

CWS

Jul 5, 2012
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been relying on the flash on my camera to get the detail of most of the coins I photograph. But the other day I was shown that it's not always necessary.

Here is a picture of the coin (lying flat on velvet, camera above, macro lens)

CoinWholeSales: Brilliant Uncirculated 2005 1 oz. Silver Eagles

IMG_3444.jpg
IMG_3443.jpg

I almost never ever try working out of program mode. But these were taken in Manual mode with a high F-stop and long exposure. Also 2 L-shaped foam board pieces were placed around the coin. Kind of a makeshift light-box if you will. The coin has some blue from on the edge it's because I was lazy and didn't fully close the shade by the window.

F-Stops and depth of field are still pretty foreign to me. So it's always refreshing to get help from a more experienced photographer, and then take that advice and see the difference in my own photographs.

It worked really well for any silver proof, or clad proof.

That same set-up didn't really work to bring out the details in Morgan / Peace and copper coins. So I may unfortunately use the flash for those ones until I can figure out the lighting problems.

CoinWholeSales: New Addition: Better Grade Indian Head Cents

Taken with Flash...
E04+IMG_2250.jpg
E04+IMG_2251.jpg

Just wanted to poke in and say this little bit.

But please let me know what you think.

Oh yes and Happy New Year!!!

~ CWS

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While I must say that the pic of the Silver Eagle is a great pic, it lacks the most important thing that needs to be shown when using the pics for selling on eBay or Online. That important thing, is the Mint Luster. While the setup may be great for many circulated coins with a little or even a lot of wear and maybe a certain amount to very little if any Mint Luster, it is just not working on high grade and Silver Coins such as the Silver Eagle. I hope that you do not take offense to my comments but I have sold lots of coins on eBay and superb pics, showing a coin in all of it's glory, is key to making a great sell and getting top dollar!

Frank

OP
OP
C

CWS

Jul 5, 2012
MA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wanted comments. I'll have to play around with it this weekend. We are getting a Nor'Eastern here so I'm off till Monday.

More time to experiment. I will agree that better images of coins sell quicker on Ebay and other online sites.

~ CWS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread