Has anyone ever noticed this on Ebay?

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
eBay Feedback Profile for hubbyscoins2045

4,524 Feedback received (viewing 1-25) Revised Feedback: 13

"This is the number of negative or neutral Feedback buyers have revised for this seller."

"Calculating Feedback revisions
Sellers can submit a limited number of requests to buyers to revise neutral or negative Feedback. The number of requests is determined by the number of Feedback comments received in the previous year. Five revision requests are allowed for every 1000 Feedback ratings given."

I was wondering why this seller hasn't has more negative feedback left. The coin I bought was overgraded, cleaned, and he much have edited the photo or used some photography technique to hide the imperfections in the coin. Coin i bought looked very much proof-like in the photo (as do many of his coins if you check the other listings) yet was no where near PL when it arrived.

Here is the kicker - when I voiced these concerns to the seller he offered a full refund and offered to pay my return shipping. I let him know it was $12 (dont remember exact amount) and he ended up sending me $50....... hmmmmmmmmm

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I've been a coin collector since the 60s and I would never buy or sell any coin worth more than a few bucks on Ebay. Too many people disagree on condition and it opens you up to a bad experience no matter if you're the buyer or the seller. If this seller owed you $12 to cover shipping and gave you $50 it tells me they value their feedback and want happy buyers. What was the problem with that ? Without seeing the auction for the exact coin you bought AND detailed pictures of what you received it's not fair to pass judgement on either of you. Sorry.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point I am trying to make here is if anyone has ever seen "Revised Feedback" before. I have been on Ebay a long time and this was the first time I had ever seen it.

Maybe the guy just sent me a bad coin, mistakes happen, but I took it to 2 different experts and the both agreed with my assessment prior to me contacting the seller. The extra money - well you can look at it 2 different ways, glass half full and glass half empty - and thats what I am trying to get opinions on.

I probably should have made this into 2 separate posts.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree. I am a top rated seller and have sold on ebay for 12 years and I can say with 100% accuracy that this seller is manipulating to keep their positive feedback. This sellers knows they're selling problem coins, but if caught, they're willing to buy the buyer off so they can keep their positive feedback count. This sellers knows that most people don't bother with returns and will usually take their lumps and move on, but when the few do complain they kiss their but and pay them off so they don't leave a negative.

It appears this seller also goes out of their way to contact ebay and the buyers into revising negative feedbacks. I know how this works and a good talker can get their way if they play it smart, even when they're wrong, you just have to play dumb or convince the wronged party that you're actually the victim in the situation.

It's not about a disagreement on a coin's grade, but about selling problem coins as if they don't have problems. I speak from experience when I say that there's no controversy among honest coins dealers or experts on harshly cleaned coins, a point or two in grading YES, but not on a coin that's been polished, scratched or had the entire original mint layer removed from cleaning, then edit or use lighting to hide the facts in your images.

If you do that than you're a fraud. I don't need to see the OP's coin when this seller had that many revised feedbacks, AND when I can view this sellers auctions and see that they use bright light, fake grading holders with over-graded coins in them. I have warned all my website visitors about this seller, among many others that do the same.

It's sad for the hobby of coin collecting and I would stand in front of a court of law or God and defend everything I just stated. I am that confident in my experience and knowledge on this subject.

I would send back the $50, minus the cost of the coin and shipping, send back the coin as well, then leave negative feedback. When you send the coin back, watch their auctions, it will be for sale again, hoping for a buyer that will not complain.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree. I am a top rated seller and have sold on ebay for 12 years and I can say with 100% accuracy that this seller is manipulating to keep their positive feedback. This sellers knows they're selling problem coins, but if caught, they're willing to buy the buyer off so they can keep their positive feedback count. This sellers knows that most people don't bother with returns and will usually take their lumps and move on, but when the few do complain they kiss their but and pay them off so they don't leave a negative.

It appears this seller also goes out of their way to contact ebay and the buyers into revising negative feedbacks. I know how this works and a good talker can get their way if they play it smart, even when they're wrong, you just have to play dumb or convince the wronged party that you're actually the victim in the situation.

It's not about a disagreement on a coin's grade, but about selling problem coins as if they don't have problems. I speak from experience when I say that there's no controversy among honest coins dealers or experts on harshly cleaned coins, a point or two in grading YES, but not on a coin that's been polished, scratched or had the entire original mint layer removed from cleaning, then edit or use lighting to hide the facts in your images.

If you do that than you're a fraud. I don't need to see the OP's coin when this seller had that many revised feedbacks, AND when I can view this sellers auctions and see that they use bright light, fake grading holders with over-graded coins in them. I have warned all my website visitors about this seller, among many others that do the same.

It's sad for the hobby of coin collecting and I would stand in front of a court of law or God and defend everything I just stated. I am that confident in my experience and knowledge on this subject.

I would send back the $50, minus the cost of the coin and shipping, send back the coin as well, then leave negative feedback. When you send the coin back, watch their auctions, it will be for sale again, hoping for a buyer that will not complain.

Great information and great post! Although it has been quite a long time since I have sold any coins on eBay, I always described each coin to the best of my ability but also asked that folks view all of the pics of each coin, make the determination as to the grade, condition and anything that I described which stands out (i.e. I use to sell a lot of Error and Variety coins besides some semi-key date, key date and higher grade coins) and to make the determination before bidding. I never had a problem about any coin I sold and still retain my' 100% Feedback rating. It is nice to get some great information and advice from another honest eBay Seller!

Frank

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I sell as coinauctionshelp, and I do the same. I provide detailed pics of my coins with a detailed description, if there's an error in my listing or a disagreement, then I refund. I have yet to refund because of using bright light to hide the coin's details or put them in a fake grading holder to bolster the value of my coins.

I started my website in 2007 to inform collectors about these frauds, and glad some people appreciate it, and understand the OP's problem isn't just a dispute about grade or a mistake by the seller, it's down-right fraudulent and manipulative behaviour that has no place in coin collecting.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this guy was so bad he would not have the feedback he does, which is pretty damn good! Only 13 revised feedback on 4,524... and that's bad? And we don't even know what the 13 are.

When you buy on the internet you have to take some ownership in what you do, and it's not always perfect.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this guy was so bad he would not have the feedback he does, which is pretty damn good! Only 13 revised feedback on 4,524... and that's bad? And we don't even know what the 13 are.

When you buy on the internet you have to take some ownership in what you do, and it's not always perfect.

"When you buy on the internet you have to take some ownership in what you do, and it's not always perfect."

Sure do. I should have seen the scratches and imperfections in the field despite the manipulative dishonest photography (end sarcasm). Let me ask you a question Iron Patch - is sending a buyer $50 for return shipping a customary practice in your experiences with internet commerce?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"When you buy on the internet you have to take some ownership in what you do, and it's not always perfect."

Sure do. I should have seen the scratches and imperfections in the field despite the manipulative dishonest photography (end sarcasm). Let me ask you a question Iron Patch - is sending a buyer $50 for return shipping a customary practice in your experiences with internet commerce?

I only wish a seller would send me $50 to send something back!!! That's the problem here, getting too much money?

Again, people can post what they want here, but the consensus on ebay is they are happy with this seller, very happy actually.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the problem you will always have when buying coins, judging the condition from a picture rather than having it in the hand, it's never the same. You pays your money and you take the chance.

SS

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the problem you will always have when buying coins, judging the condition from a picture rather than having it in the hand, it's never the same. You pays your money and you take the chance.

SS

And when you're not happy you hope you have a seller like this to make it right. I know once in a while I run into people that no matter what you offer they're determined not to be happy, and you think WTF do I have to do for this person. It's almost always something that's just a few dollars and it has you totally regretting having sold it to them.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only wish a seller would send me $50 to send something back!!! That's the problem here, getting too much money?

Again, people can post what they want here, but the consensus on ebay is they are happy with this seller, very happy actually.

You totally side stepped the question. Is this a customary practice? I'll answer it - NO. How can you not see cause and effect here? You like to play the role as devil's advocate quite regularly, but this time you aren't thinking it through.

Some people love those TV coin shows too, so people are entitled to their opinion after all its their money.......doesn't mean those sellers arent ripping them off left and right.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS

Many Ebay sellers (like the ones above) take honest pictures and are honest in their descriptions. However, some aren't.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To take a professional picture of a coin that shows all the detail takes a $1000+ camera, how many sellers have one of those, anyway like IP says you either buy of them or don't, or make sure you use PP at least then you have come back.

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To take a professional picture of a coin that shows all the detail takes a $1000+ camera, how many sellers have one of those, anyway like IP says you either buy of them or don't, or make sure you use PP at least then you have come back.

SS

I TOTALLY disagree. I can take a picture of a coin with my camera phone and get enough detail to give a potential buyer an honest representation. That along with an honest description disclosing any potential issues is how honest sellers operate. Dishonest sellers doctor photos and keep mum on issues in hopes that the buyer either won't notice, won't know any better, or will just chalk it up.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's pictures and there's pictures, you need a good dedicated macro lense to take professional pictures, you won't find a genuine coin dealer using a Iphone.

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's pictures and there's pictures, you need a good dedicated macro lense to take professional pictures, you won't find a genuine coin dealer using a Iphone.

SS

And there's coins and there's coins. Selling a $10 Indian Head, a $500 Morgan, and a $10,000 flowing hair large cent carry different expectations.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And there's coins and there's coins. Selling a $10 Indian Head, a $500 Morgan, and a $10,000 flowing hair large cent carry different expectations.
You failed to mention the prices of coins you were buying, in the UK the major coin buyers would not buy high end coins with out seeing them, in hand first. It would hardly be worth the fuss over a $5 to $10 dollar coin.

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You failed to mention the prices of coins you were buying, in the UK the major coin buyers would not buy high end coins with out seeing them, in hand first. It would hardly be worth the fuss over a $5 to $10 dollar coin.

SS

I buy and sell. $1 to $1000. My biggest purchase ever was online ~ $800, my biggest sale ever ~ $3500 was done online. I again disagree with you....many sales today are internet based, that's just the way things are going. Sure sales still happen in retail stores and coin shows, but that is shrinking little by little. The purchase that prompted this thread was about $500.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread