CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buying Coins, No Refund, Don't buy

I am replying to a lot of topics on here where members have bought coins and want to know if it was a good buy or if the coins are authentic. It's great to have a place to ask these questions, but it's too late if you buy the coins, find out they're fake and the seller offers no refund.

My suggestion is not to buy from any seller that doesn't offer a refund, it's just not worth the possible rip-off. I know it's hard to pass up when you think is a good deal, but you can get bit real hard doing this.

At least post before you buy and I and other members will help you promptly before you spend your hard earned money. You can even send me a PM or email, I don't mind at all! I am at your service, I am a Top Rated seller at ebay and founded and operate a coin collecting website just for this purpose, so don't hesitate to contact me, since I have the experience on both sides of buying and selling coins.

Also, don't buy from sellers who grade their own coins, it's best to stick with PCGS, ANACS, NGC, ICG and even SEGS, NTC, PCI are better than some made up alphabet labeled holder where the seller encapsulated and graded their own coins just to make more profit and not to benefit a collector.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A return policy doesn't matter because you have Ebay and Paypal to back you up if there's an issue... and if there's not an issue that rises to the level of needing to file a claim, well that's the buyers fault. I've never offered refunds, as far as having it checked on my page, and don't pay attention to whether a seller offers refunds or not. Not going for a good deal on a coin because the seller doesn't offer refunds on his page is only hurting yourself.

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll ask about a coin collection (Peace Dollars) I am considering buying. The coins in it have been graded only by the seller. The seller info is as follows:

1921 VF/XF,
1922 MS63,
1922D AU,
1922S XF/AU,
1923 MS63,
1923D XF/AU,
1923S MS60,
1924 MS60,
1924S XF/AU,
1925 MS60,
1925S MS60,
1926 MS63,
1926D MS60,
1926S MS60,
1927 MS60,
1927D VF,
1927S VF,
1928 XF+,
1928S AU,
1934 VF,
1934D F,
1934S VF,
1935 AU, and
1935S VF

Pictures are available for me to view. Most coins do not appear to have been cleaned.

Seller claims the collection has been valued at $1700, but is asking $999.

Returns will not be an option.

Is this a fair price in your opinion? If not, then what would be a fair price given the info above?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would pull the trigger on that, if you don't mind my saying.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, I'll ask about a coin collection (Peace Dollars) I am considering buying. The coins in it have been graded only by the seller. The seller info is as follows:

1921 VF/XF,
1922 MS63,
1922D AU,
1922S XF/AU,
1923 MS63,
1923D XF/AU,
1923S MS60,
1924 MS60,
1924S XF/AU,
1925 MS60,
1925S MS60,
1926 MS63,
1926D MS60,
1926S MS60,
1927 MS60,
1927D VF,
1927S VF,
1928 XF+,
1928S AU,
1934 VF,
1934D F,
1934S VF,
1935 AU, and
1935S VF

Pictures are available for me to view. Most coins do not appear to have been cleaned.

Seller claims the collection has been valued at $1700, but is asking $999.

Returns will not be an option.

Is this a fair price in your opinion? If not, then what would be a fair price given the info above?

Were is the seller located?

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
x, seller is located local to me, so I can see the coins in person before I buy.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All depends on the 1921, 1928, and the 1931s. I personally wouldnt pay any attention to personal grades, NGC and PCGS are the only opinions I trust. Offer him $800 cash, there aren't alot of people that can afford to buy a collection like that.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's an old saying in numismatics... buy the book, then buy the coins. In other words, educate yourself, and don't complain if you get ripped off because you didn't educate yourself.

OP
OP
CoinHELP!

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A return policy does matter and it means the seller backs what they're selling, or they don't know a lot about what they're selling and don't want to rip your off. If you have ever filed a PP or Ebay claim with a dishonest seller than you would realize this, it's a huge headache. You want to buy from sellers that will go out of their way to make sure you're happy with your purchase, a refund means they're not hiding anything, and do care about you.

Of course, some sellers offer refunds as damage control when things go bad, but they realize most people will not ask for a refund. Why would anyone buy coins if they don't know much about them, then find out they didn't get the deal they thought, and can get a refund? It's this audience I am trying to reach with my original post.

As far as the Peace Dollar collection is concerned, if you know how to grade coins then go for it, but if you don't then I would not buy the coins. Grade makes a huge difference in value for many of the Peace Dollars. However, based on the grades this seller placed on the coins, he's being realistic and might be worth pursuing. I do like the $800 another poster mentioned for this collection. What gives me pause is the seller's claim that the collection was valued at $1700.

It's more like a $1000 to $1100 retail collection based on the grades provided and what these can be bought for separately at ebay. People get hung up on the 28' and 21' and in the lower grades you can buy them for almost half the book values listed at ebay and from some dealers.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just for the record, I don't accept returns on cleaned, problem, or raw coins I sell via eBay due to having people mess with them. I do, however, note any and all problems with the coin. For example, I recently listed a PCGS slabbed, VF20 1879-CC. I plainly stated that I consider the coin to be cleaned, and don't know why PCGS didn't bodybag it. I added that I was pricing the coin at a level reflective of it's assigned grade, and that if you wish to return it, you are covering my shipping costs, as well as shipping back to me.

In short, I see no problem buying coins that can't be returned as long as you are aware of the problem in advance. Now, if you buy a coin on eBay described as BU, with no returns, and it's obviously cleaned when you get it, that's a situation in which you can file a SNAD against the seller and get your money back that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread