Is this Shenanigans

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is a laugh riot. IIRC, PCGS has certified ZERO MS70 Business strike cents OF ANY YEAR. I can't check the pop reports at the moment, unfortunately, but if I could, I would confirm it. I know the pops for 69's are low as well. If you run the numbers, bulk submissions cost somewhere around $11 a coin, and that's how these dealers make money. You lose on the 66's and lower, make a few bucks on the 67's, and the real profit comes from the 68's. Bulk submissions are a minimum of 100 coins, so your initial outlay is about $1100 not including shipping.

These dealers do this for a living, and they have two things most of you laughing at these prices don't; experience and intelligence.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I stand corrected. I looked at the population reports for the last few years and ms69 was the best. Very suprising with all the unc sets and technology today that there arent better specimens out there.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats pretty Wild....Dont worry, give it 2 years and that thing will rot away inside the slab :laughing7:

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, I stand corrected. I looked at the population reports for the last few years and ms69 was the best. Very suprising with all the unc sets and technology today that there arent better specimens out there.

Here's a screenshot of modern Zincoln pops. About 1 in 5 coins is a 68. No 70's, and about 1 in 60 coins is a 69. It's worth noting that the 69's are mostly in the early 2000's, and there have only been 3 certifed 69 by PCGS since mint year 2005, all 2013. The 1999-2004 years have 798 69's, just for reference, so exempting that 5 year period, we have 46 MS69 Zincolns.
zincolnpops.jpg~original

Last edited:

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You think that's funny? Check out his recent sales. He's selling 2013 dimes for $60!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im too lazy to look ; are his coins graded?

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's extremely difficult to find a Lincoln Cent in MS66 let alone MS68, trust me, I search hundreds of uncirculated rolls a year and send my picks to PCGS. I am usually a point lower than I think, but sometimes a resubmission will buy me the grade I need. I have come to the conclusion that these grades are vanity grades, given mostly to bulk submitting dealers, to promote the values of coins in the coin grading service's holders.

The less they grade MS68 the more the values of MS68 coins, and the more coins that are valuable in their holders. Grading services, the top four that is, are good for authenticating and placing a valuable coin in plastic for protection, but you will lose if you play the grading game for profit on a small margin level.

MS is mint state and MS coins are graded by the numbers 60-70 and a cent can tone brown and not be red.

OP
OP
X

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's extremely difficult to find a Lincoln Cent in MS66 let alone MS68, trust me, I search hundreds of uncirculated rolls a year and send my picks to PCGS. I am usually a point lower than I think, but sometimes a resubmission will buy me the grade I need. I have come to the conclusion that these grades are vanity grades, given mostly to bulk submitting dealers, to promote the values of coins in the coin grading service's holders.

The less they grade MS68 the more the values of MS68 coins, and the more coins that are valuable in their holders. Grading services, the top four that is, are good for authenticating and placing a valuable coin in plastic for protection, but you will lose if you play the grading game for profit on a small margin level.

MS is mint state and MS coins are graded by the numbers 60-70 and a cent can tone brown and not be red.

Hey I'm really interested in this is a microscope a good idea? I know about the hair beard and small details like that how to you look at them?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread