Penny find

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I went through a box of pennies today, this was the most interesting thing I found other than some Canadian from the 60's. Since it was 44, I thought it would stick to a magnet, this one does not, so is that when they went back to copper? Still learning by leaps an bounds and since I am 100% new at coins, would love to learn more about this one. Thank You in advance.

1944S.jpg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
from the internet...

From 1944 through 1946, salvaged ammunition shells made their way into the minting process, and it was not uncommon to see coins featuring streaks of brass or having a considerably darker finish than other issues.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
from the internet...

From 1944 through 1946, salvaged ammunition shells made their way into the minting process, and it was not uncommon to see coins featuring streaks of brass or having a considerably darker finish than other issues.

Thanks, I had no idea about that!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
pennies have a lot of subtle varieties.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pennies have a lot of subtle varieties.

As I am learning! I went thru a box the other day, and frankly spent so much time looking some old ones up about drove myself nuts! But I enjoy it. For some reason, finding a wheat penny, or how I felt when I found my first silver dime the other day, just plain a lot of fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread