dime help

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
Can anyone give me an idea why this dime is this color?

ForumRunner_20140303_090816.png

ForumRunner_20140303_090824.png

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right off the bat I would say tumbled with some cents.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
One of two things happened to the coin. Either it never received the Clad plating before being struck into a Dime or it is a Sintered Planchet (Error Coin) that was struck into a Dime (i.e. For the latter: Before being struck into a coin the Planchets are washed in a vat. If Copper Planchets were previously washed in the vat and the wash composition was not changed before the Dimes went into the bath, then they will become coated with Copper left over from the Copper Planchets being washed). If the coin weighs somewhat less than the 2.27 grams for a normal Clad Dime 1965 to present, then it is quite possible that it is missing the Clad plating. If the coin weighs the normal 2.27 grams or you can see come Clad showing through along the reeding on the edges, then it is probably a Sintered Planchet Error.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
drewbaccas

drewbaccas

Mar 8, 2013
Here are a couple more pictures. So is this a sintered coin or missing the clad layer?

ForumRunner_20140305_144710.png

ForumRunner_20140305_144728.png

The dime on top is a normal dime for comparison.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
My best guess is that it is a Sintered Planchet Error Coin! However, without a weight and scratch test (which is what I believe PCGS, NGC or another Grading Services company would do) somewhere on the reeded edge, I can't be absolutely sure.

Frank

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not trying to jack the thread but could this be a Sintered Planchet Error or do they have to be completely covered in the copper color?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Not trying to jack the thread but could this be a Sintered Planchet Error or do they have to be completely covered in the copper color?

Yes, I believe that it is! The Half Dollar had another coin laying partially on top of it when it was in the bath and that is why you see the almost half moon on the left. I copied and pasted the pic to my' PC, uploaded it to Photobucket, then cropped...resized and enhanced the pic to show it better and have attached it below. You can clearly see that this is not a case of missing Cladding.

Frank

2001dKennedySinteredPlanchet.jpg

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thanks for the help huntsman! So do coins like this have any value other than F.V.?

Yes they do! While I have found and owned a few of these types of Error coins, I really have never followed the prices or what makes some more in demand over others. However, from a quick search this morning, it seems that the price they fetch as with most coins is condition dependant but I believe eye appeal is a big factor, denomination may be another factor, severity or percentage of the coin that is affected by the Sintering Error seems to have a significant factor in pricing as well as the Series collectibility (i.e. coins of the same denomination but with a different motives or normal Jefferson Nickels versus the 2003 to Present Series). From what I have been able to find, it seems that the coins that have only percentages of the their' planchet affected, seem to sell somewhat better than some of the one's with a fully Sintered Planchet. However, even the one's that are fully Sintered sell very well when the Seller doesn't have them priced through the roof. See the eBay links below.

Frank

eBay Sold Listings with Partially Sintered Planchets:
2005 P Westward Journey 5c Bison Sintered Planchet PCGS Mint State 65 | eBay

2005 D Sac $1 Improp Annealed Sintered PCGS MS 65 | eBay

2004 P Westward Journey 5c Keelboat Sintered Planchet PCGS Mint State 65 | eBay

1985 Washington Quarter Error Copper Wash or Sintered Planchet BU Condition | eBay

2004 P Westward Journey 5c Keelboat Sintered Planchet NGC Mint State 64 | eBay

1998 P Jefferson Nickel UNC Improperly Annealed Sintered Planchet | eBay

eBay Current Buy-It-Now Auctions with No Offers for Fully Sintered Planchets:
2004 Mint Error Roosevelt Dime Sintered Copper Planchet NGC Mint State 66 | eBay

2005 P PCGS MS65 Sacagawea Golden Dollar Coin Sintered Annealed Mint Error | eBay

eBay Sold Auctions with fully Sintered Planchets:
2001 P Black Beauty Kentucky Sintered Planch State Quarter Mint Error PCGS MS65 | eBay

2004 Keel Boat 5¢ Sintered Plan PCGS MS 64 | eBay

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow some of those coins actually did sell for a few bucks! You are the man huntsman! So do you think I should take it to a pro for grading then? FYI I just started this coin collection thing a couple days ago but I can already tell I'm hooked. Hey thanks for all the help, I certainly appreciate it!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow some of those coins actually did sell for a few bucks! You are the man huntsman! So do you think I should take it to a pro for grading then? FYI I just started this coin collection thing a couple days ago but I can already tell I'm hooked. Hey thanks for all the help, I certainly appreciate it!

No need to take the coin to a Pro. Just take good closeup, in-focus, straight on pics of the Obverse (Front) and Reverse (back), start your own Thread and post the pics there and ask for opinions on the grade. Get a consensus on the grade and if you decide to sell the coin somewhere such as eBay, use that grade in the Title and Listing description. State that the coin is AU (i.e. In my opinion the coin is in AU condition), if that is the consensus of the grades you get in the Thread for both the Obverse and Reverse but also advise any potential bidders to "that you are not a Professional Grader of coins, so please view the pics and determine the grade for yourself before bidding".

Good luck on your coin collecting and you are more than welcome!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey thanks! Just out of curiosity how much do the pros charge to grade a coin?

While most Coin Dealers are knowledgeable about grading and some will attest their expertise in doing so, most are not professionals at grading coins. The Professional are the folks that work for Coin Grading Services companies and who grade coins 5 to 6 days a week. The cost to have a coin certified and graded varies somewhat depending on which company you use but generally to have one coin certified and graded, I believe that the cost will exceed $50 and that is not cost effective when the coin may only fetch that price at auction or via another venue. It is when you are a member or a member Dealer submits 6 to 10 or more coins at the same time, that the costs are much less to have them all certified and graded. Some Coin Dealers make bulk purchases of Collections of certain coins, Silver Eagles or Gold Eagles and may submit 20, 40, 60 or even up to 100 coins or Silver Eagles or Gold Eagles to be certifed and graded, then the cost really goes down to probably less than $25 for each coin due to the bulk submission.

Frank

Last edited:

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh o.k. thanks Frank. I didn't realize the cost was so much, of course the cost is relative to the value of the coin but in my case it would be a dumb thing to do with this particular coin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread