What is this coin??

jbr13

Greenie
Apr 2, 2010
Lexington Park, MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I posted this a while back and got a lot of people thinking it was a George III Half Penny. It is 27mm, and looks copper. I have cleaned it up some more, what are your thoughts. Thanks for the look and any insight!!!

Attachments

• Unknown Coin.jpg
    Unknown Coin.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 112

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't consider it a "coin" anymore...LOL

AQUA

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2013
Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
FISHER F75 / TESORO SAND SHARK / CZ 21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw it into the blank pile..is unrecognizable--- I got about 50 of them now...just part of it.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Throw it into the blank pile..is unrecognizable--- I got about 50 of them now...just part of it.

I agree but if you really want to know what it is, then you might try the following! Brush one side with Nick-A-Date and only leave it on the coin long enough to begin showing the details, then quickly rinse with water, dip in Lemon Juice, again rinse thoroughly with water, then dry the coin. (The first water rinse slows the acid, the Lemon Juice neutralizes the acid, then the second water rinse washes the acid and Lemon Juice off the coin.) Next, do the same to the other side of the coin. The metal where the details, lettering, Date are on the coin is more dense due to the compression from striking (minting). The Nick-A-Date will eat away the less dense metal around these and should show some details. This is similar to restoring Dates on Buffalo Nickels or restoring Serial Numbers that have been filed or ground off guns. Warning: If you leave the Neck-A-Date on the coin to long, then it will pretty much eat the Copper away.

Even if you are able to restore enough of the details on the coin to identify it and it happens to be fairly rare, it is doubtful that you could ever sell it for much of a premium. However, at this point, it is nothing but a piece of Copper slag.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions