Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
2000 Virginia found in roll. scrubbed with dish detergent and soft toothbrush. my LCS looked at it at 30X magnification and says the obverse shows cracks in the plating. the areas in question are similar to crazing from a bad paint job, much like streaks in marble. is this a lamination error. REDBOOK lists state qtr lam. IMG_0766.JPG IMG_0767.JPG errors at value of $400. unable to find any pics on web of this type error. and no this is not dirt or any other foreign matter. coin reverse is normal.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
2000 Virginia found in roll. scrubbed with dish detergent and soft toothbrush. my LCS looked at it at 30X magnification and says the obverse shows cracks in the plating. the areas in question are similar to crazing from a bad paint job, much like streaks in marble. is this a lamination error. REDBOOK lists state qtr lam. View attachment 957268 View attachment 957269 errors at value of $400. unable to find any pics on web of this type error. and no this is not dirt or any other foreign matter. coin reverse is normal.

I can say, if that is what is wrong with the coin, then it probably does not have much value over face value! Since the coin has sooo much staining and/or bad toning, it is almost impossible to see what you wrote about. I thought that I saw some Die Clashing on the coin but can't even be certain of that due to the staining and/or bad toning. Not sure as to what advice to give other than it is not advised to scrub a coin with a toothbrush or any other type of brush and expecially one that you think might have value. IMHO, a bath in Acetone may have been all that was needed to remove the staining and/or bad toning but then again, we did not see the before pics and don't know what you were dealing with before the cleaning.

Frank

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to clarify , the cleaning did not change the coin 's appearance. the "toning" and "staining" are precisely what I am referring to. under 30X mag those areas show crackling of the surface. the stained spots show copper bleeding thru the outer layer. reverse of coin is not affected. my LCS with 30 years experience is not sure if this is early stages of de-lamination

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
to clarify , the cleaning did not change the coin 's appearance. the "toning" and "staining" are precisely what I am referring to. under 30X mag those areas show crackling of the surface. the stained spots show copper bleeding thru the outer layer. reverse of coin is not affected. my LCS with 30 years experience is not sure if this is early stages of de-lamination

Rich,

Based on your reply and re-examining the pics, I would imagine that the Cladding was eaten away by something in the environment where the coin has been at some time in the past or it was subjected to some type of acid. I doubt that it is true Lamination separation of the Cladding which is sometimes caused by air bubbles trapped between the Copper and Clad layers when the Planchets are Clad plated or sometimes caused by contaminants getting between the Copper and Clad layers that causes the Cladding not to adhere to the Copper core of the planchet. Both of these cause portions of the Cladding to separate from the Copper core (i.e. either very visible cracks in the Cladding, peeled up pieces and/or even missing pieces of the Cladding). I believe that on your' coin, the Cladding has just been eaten away enough to show the Copper core underneath and any cracking, is probably due to contaminants or acid getting under the Cladding which has caused portions of it to start separating from the Copper Core.

If you can provide some very good closeup pics of specific areas on the coin where there appears to be cracks and/or Copper showing through, I will examine them to be certain of the cause.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread