cleaning

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cleaning a coin no matter what way or with what solution will bring it's value down tremendously. I suggest never cleaning a coin. But if you want it to be nice and shiny and do not mind the value of it dropping a lot. Then go for it. But most people here will advise you to never clean a coin.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Not an easy question... If the coin is Proof, don't touch it with anything. If it is uncirculated, you can probably use soap and warm water. Pat dry, and the odds are you will not significantly damage the coin. If it is circulated, soap and water is fine. Pat dry with a soft cloth. Never rub. If it has significant dirt (like a coin dug up), you can give it a bath in warm water and rinse. Never rub. If it has attached grime that you really want to remove, you can give it a bath, and use a Rose Thorn to try to remove the bits and pieces of gunk. I would not use anything more firm than that.

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Morgan with some glue or some thing and I was thinking about soaking it in some lemon juice or something. I dont know.

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a Morgan with some glue or some thing and I was thinking about soaking it in some lemon juice or something. I dont know.
post a pic... Don't clean with out checking on here. Need to know date and mint before you do anything... Otherwise you might ruin a key date

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1903 no mint mark
a 1903 P Morgan is not a key date... If you choose to clean it will effect the value all around. However, since yours is not a key it won't create a huge fluctuation in price. Worst comes to worst... If you clean it and don't want it anymore, you can always sell
For spot price

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread