image-1063126563.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 122

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
An Acetone bath then a light rub with a finger and possibly a fingernail may remove the Verdigris (the green stuff which is a Copper Carbonate encrustation caused by oxidation of the Copper). The Acetone will remove more of the patina from the coin as well but since you have apparently done some cleaning of it which also removed some patina, so using the Acetone can't really hurt. Just do not subject the coin to the Acetone any longer than you have to, as it can cause some pitting to develop in the Copper due to prolonged exposure to it. Once the Verdigris is removed or as much as can be possible to remove, then rinse the coin very thoroughly.

Frank

Last edited:

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, verdicare would be the way to go.

wvplug

Mar 2, 2014
Randolph County, WV
Detector(s) used
AT Pro and Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just stick it in your pocket, carry it around and handle it for a while.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The green you are seeing is corrosion. It cannot be removed. You can "deactivate it" to stop or slow it from spreading but that is it. I would recommend a soak in acetone overnight. I have left dozens coins soak in acetone overnight and it has never hurt them.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I have some 'dirty' coins that must be cleaned, I soak them in a mix of "Dawn" liquid (few drops) soap & water (ounce or two) in a Rx brown pill bottle overnite or two, shake often during the overnite period, rinse with very hot tap water & tap dry with paper napkin. Takes a lot of the oily film off coin, especially pennies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread