Just wondering?

stickyfingers427

Jan 23, 2013
I See so many pics and videos of coins people say they find and they show them pulling them out of their hole.. Most of them look beat up or worn.. If I was to guess if you pulled a hundred year old coin out of the earth than it's been their most of its life and hasn't been in circulation long enough to get that much wear... So am I to believe that most people are not being honest about their finds or lack their of? Or my other thought is that just nature itself like water run off is making the coin looks like they have been in circulation for many years? Maybe you can help me? Thank you

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
well...gold doesn't oxidize so it can be under the ocean for 200 years and come out looking bright like it was lost yesterday....silver does oxidize but the type of soil and the conditions of the soil matter a whole lot. I have found silver on the beach that is black when I pick it up...I have found silver in the desert that is dull but clean and...well...."silver" when I pick it up....

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins used to circulate for many, many years, past the point where they were worn completely smooth. It all depends on how long a coin was in circulation before it was lost, I have found them that looked like they had no wear at all, and I have found them that were worn beyond identifying.

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depending on the area, and the soil type, you have to remember that the soil sort of moves all the time from weather, freeze/thaw cycles, foot/vehicle/animal traffic overhead, roots shifting etc. Soil is pretty abrasive stuff too, so the wear even on silver comes natural.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins don't wear once they're in the ground. Minerals, chemicals, and fertilizer in the ground will attack the coin however. Beach coins are a different story. They can move around in the surf and get completely worn to where you can't identify them anymore.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread