Coin Shows

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to my first coin show this weekend, but only had time to make a quick visit and sell a couple things. I wandered around a little bit but it was a little overwhelming and I did not know where to begin. This was on Saturday of a Thursday-Sunday show. By early Saturday afternoon a bunch of the dealers had left or were packing up, so next time I will go Thursday or Friday.

Anyway, I heard that on the first day of the show a crowd had lined to get in. A crowd also lined up at the U.S. Mint booth to buy the new baseball commemoratives. Some questions for you coin show veterans: Why the rush to to get into the show early? Are there deals to be had that go away? Also, why line up to buy a U.S. Mint commemorative that is still very much available? I even heard that a number of the people lining up to buy the commemoratives flipped them the same day to dealers - why would the dealer pay someone more that the dealer could go over to the booth and buy?

I plan to go to the same show when it returns this summer. Any advice on how to best use one's time at a show (and any ideas on how to make a show profitable) would be appreciated.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Been to many shows over the years. Never been to one where the US mint had a booth. Could it be because you don't have to pay shipping when you buy in person ? Do they add in state tax ? These are things I wonder about. I do know that in some states when you buy coins at auction they don't charge a sales tax because technically you're just exchanging money for other money.

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baltimore Whitman show? I really wanted to go but didn't have the time!! I'm glad you had a good time even though it was overwhelming, I heard the same from a friend that went, must have been huge! Can't wait until the summer show!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, try to go on Friday if at all possible. Saturday is ok too but by lunchtime, it is time to leave. Sunday is a complete waste of time.

All the best stuff is still around early in the day, on Thurs/Fri. By Sat, all the stuff has been picked over.

I highly recommend to ANYONE with a semi-serious interest in coins - attend a major coin show. There is a big differenence between reading about this stuff on the internet and bidding on ebay vs seeing it in person and talking to real life experts, negotiating, etc. Good luck.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A crowd also lined up at the U.S. Mint booth to buy the new baseball commemoratives. Some questions for you coin show veterans: Why the rush to to get into the show early? Are there deals to be had that go away? Also, why line up to buy a U.S. Mint commemorative that is still very much available? I even heard that a number of the people lining up to buy the commemoratives flipped them the same day to dealers - why would the dealer pay someone more that the dealer could go over to the booth and buy?

Special designations on graded coin holders?

NGC Registry 2014 Tuvalu Silver Alligator $1 PF70 Max 3 500 Fun Show Signed COA | eBay

https://www.coinweek.com/modern-coins/coin-analyst-chicago-ana-buffalo-reverse-proof-coins-really-special/

Wondercoins - Specializing in Gold, Silver, and Platinum Coins

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
2014 P Baseball Gold $5 PCGS PR70DCAM Baltimore First Pitch in Hand | eBay

Also, sold out at the Mint.

Lowest selling price on eBay right now is $509.99, for one of the unc. (Mint price was $424.75 for the proof, $419.75 for unc.)

2014 baseball gold in 1995-Now | eBay

And for the silver $1 coin:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2014-P-National-Baseball-Hall-of-Fame-90-Silver-Proof-Dollar-US-Mint-Box-COA-/271427247144?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item3f32531c28

Not sold out, people just clamoring to get one.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
To throw in my 2 cents worth, avoid purchasing mint state coins which are not professionally graded. If you do, you'll find that the grading is subjective as to whether you are buying or selling.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to my first coin show this weekend, but only had time to make a quick visit and sell a couple things. I wandered around a little bit but it was a little overwhelming and I did not know where to begin. This was on Saturday of a Thursday-Sunday show. By early Saturday afternoon a bunch of the dealers had left or were packing up, so next time I will go Thursday or Friday.

Anyway, I heard that on the first day of the show a crowd had lined to get in. A crowd also lined up at the U.S. Mint booth to buy the new baseball commemoratives. Some questions for you coin show veterans: Why the rush to to get into the show early? Are there deals to be had that go away? Also, why line up to buy a U.S. Mint commemorative that is still very much available? I even heard that a number of the people lining up to buy the commemoratives flipped them the same day to dealers - why would the dealer pay someone more that the dealer could go over to the booth and buy?

I plan to go to the same show when it returns this summer. Any advice on how to best use one's time at a show (and any ideas on how to make a show profitable) would be appreciated.

Make sure you check with the contacts for the Coin Shows as to whether you can get in on Thursday or not. I have been to many Coin Shows in Chattanooga, TN and Dalton, GA and these are usually Friday through Sunday with Friday being set aside specifically for the Coin Dealers to make deals between themselves. The Public can only get in on Saturday and Sunday. No matter how many days most Coin Shows are scheduled for, the first day of the Coin Show is again, usually for the Coin Dealers only. However, if you have a Business License and you buy and sell coins, collectibles and other related items, you can usually get into a Coin Show along with the Coin Dealers on the day set aside for them. I know because I have done it!

The reason to get into the Coin Show as early as possible, is to not only get some great deals that will either be gone or no longer made available later in the Coin Show but also to get a jump start on everyone else that Cherrypicks. There are usually hundreds of Coin Experts, Collectors and Dealers that start at the first tables at a Coin Show and work they way to every table where the Coin Dealers allow cherrypicking. These folks are looking for Error Coins, Variety Coins and Rare Coins that are overlooked by some of the Coin Dealers. Some tables are great for finding such coins while you will learn in time, that others are not. The older a Coin Dealer is and the more sheer volume of coins that they have out for sale, the more likely it is that they will have overlooked a coin or coins that can be purchased cheap but later resold for hundreds, thousands or even tens of thousands of dollars once it/they is/are attributed and authenticated. At every big Coin Show I attended, I would always see Bill Fivaz of the Cherrypicker's Guide fame, cherrypicking coins from table to table. When he had time, I would usually discuss some Error and Variety Coin finds that I had made but learned the hard way, that this was not a good idea and quit doing so.

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whitman Baltimore shows (March, June, and November) are four day events with free public access on Thursday starting at noon (you pay $75 for early bird access at 10am). I went Thursday, no line to get into the show but HUGE line for US Mint. Kind of wanted to get one of those, but didn't want to wait hours in line. Gold coin sold out in less than a week! Silver dollar and half are now back ordered till June. Thus the line to get them... everyone knew they were going to be popular and sell out fast.

I got a 1909S lincoln there in F-12 for a decent price. Only need a 09SVDB, 14D and 22Plain to complete my lincolns now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread