Please tell me this is a Huge Score!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get excited usually when I see something and this may fit the bill! Just wondering if anyone thinks this is worth grading. I may keep it but if it grades high, Would consider selling it. I really want to buy the house we are renting. So Did I get a Start on my down payment or Another shot in the dark? Thanks for looking! BTW its a 1884 S Morgan Dollar.

Attachments

• IMG_9665.JPG
    IMG_9665.JPG
    542.9 KB · Views: 211
  • IMG_9666.JPG
    IMG_9666.JPG
    619.5 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_9667.JPG
    IMG_9667.JPG
    637.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_9668.JPG
    IMG_9668.JPG
    570 KB · Views: 175

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to break it to you, but I'm afraid I have bad news. When I looked up the 1884 S Morgan in my price guide, I was really hoping for this to be MS-63 or higher, which would be a $30,000+ coin! But, there is what I believe to be wear on the hair above Liberty's forehead, and in the pictures there are hairlines all over the surface, and dirt packed into the protected areas, all of which hint at a past cleaning. Sorry, but I only see $100 max coin. Don't take my opinion as the final say; there will be others that will comment and leave feedback. It would be easier to tell for sure the grade of the coin if it was in hand, but I'm only going off of what I see in the pictures, and that is what I see.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to break it to you, but I'm afraid I have bad news. When I looked up the 1884 S Morgan in my price guide, I was really hoping for this to be MS-63 or higher, which would be a $30,000+ coin! But, there is what I believe to be wear on the hair above Liberty's forehead, and in the pictures there are hairlines all over the surface, and dirt packed into the protected areas, all of which hint at a past cleaning. Sorry, but I only see $100 max coin. Don't take my opinion as the final say; there will be others that will comment and leave feedback. It would be easier to tell for sure the grade of the coin if it was in hand, but I'm only going off of what I see in the pictures, and that is what I see.

To be honest I didn't even see the scratch on the face until I took the picture.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only concern would be if it was genuine... :icon_scratch: I have a problem working with these coins now because of China. :BangHead: China is mass producing these coins by the 100's of millions or even billions. So if it won't pass the 180 degree magnetic coin slide test I would not work with it. Make sure its the right weight and size, its diaomagnetic it tests as silver and all details such as date and lettering are all correct. Make sure no strange bumps in the fields of the coin. Make sure the reeded edge is like this ||||||||| and not this /\/\/\/\/\. If it passes all these tests then its likely to say its genuine.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only concern would be if it was genuine... :icon_scratch: I have a problem working with these coins now because of China. :BangHead: China is mass producing these coins by the 100's of millions or even billions. So if it won't pass the 180 degree magnetic coin slide test I would not work with it. Make sure its the right weight and size, its diaomagnetic it tests as silver and all details such as date and lettering are all correct. Make sure no strange bumps in the fields of the coin. Make sure the reeded edge is like this ||||||||| and not this /\/\/\/\/\. If it passes all these tests then its likely to say its genuine.

It was in with 58 other Morgan's from a collection I didn't think I would ever find. I paid $3k for everything and this was in the last tube I didn't get to yet. One local coin shop in town I took some currency to. He told me it was maybe worth $100 on a good day. 6 bills total. The first one sold online for $410. So the best place in town is a bunch of Thieves in suits! I'll check the weight but I would throw up if it was fake!

kimosarbe

Greenie
Mar 2, 2014
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter VLF
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the eagle feathers are worn off its breast .very good coin find . but not to valuble will not rate to high . deal in these all the time..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
XF/AU.....worth a few hundred at most. More likely less considering the scratches.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting value on this coin. My 2012 red book shows AU-50 @ $330., and one grade higher, MS-60 @ $6,000. Quite a jump.

I would take a chance, grade it....won't cost much, with a potential big score. GL

S

stefen

It was in with 58 other Morgan's from a collection I didn't think I would ever find. I paid $3k for everything and this was in the last tube I didn't get to yet. One local coin shop in town I took some currency to. He told me it was maybe worth $100 on a good day. 6 bills total. The first one sold online for $410. So the best place in town is a bunch of Thieves in suits! I'll check the weight but I would throw up if it was fake!

So you let a dealer look at it first hand and he gave you an honest opinion...an you have the balls to call him a theif in a suit...

And now people on TN are looking at pictures and are giving you the same opinion...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No. That was the bills. Not the coins. When he says all of the bills are common issue and in horrible condition, they would be lucky to get $150 total on eBay. The $410 one was a 1918 New York $2 bill with the battle ship. Another is a $5 woodchopper nearly unc. So as of now the bids plus the one that sold are at $580 plus 1 have one more to list. I would say he was trying to think I was a sucker. Just my thought though. By the way a couple years ago I had a gold watch. The same guy offered me $100 for the whole encasing was gold. it was a men's watch and i sold it to a Rolex dealer who paid for it $1000. But all of that is a totally different subject. I was just hoping that this coin was something special. It would be great to be able to have a down payment off 1. But if not, I'll keep on saving and going on!

Last edited:

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't judge these things from your source... :dontknow: Anyone and everyone can have a few dozen of these fakes. ??? I've seen entire shops shut down because they bought $600,000 of these fake coins... :icon_scratch: Don't dismiss what I said until you've done every test.... :thumbsup: I'm thinking its genuine but you really never know until you do as many tests as you can.... :dontknow:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Typical trade of thought that if it isn't worth at least $300 then it may not be worth an official grade. If you plan to sell, you can get more for it. If you Ebay it, factor in that you should try and get as much as possible, so grading may be worth it.

There are different prices for grading, but I think that it is probably between $14 and $30. You would either have to go through a dealer to send off or join the NGC and send off yourself. If you join the NGC you can get a complimentary grading depending on your membership level.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions