Melting down US Coins Gold Eagls and Double eagles

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the son of a retired 40+ years welding instructor... WHERE ARE YOUR GLOVES AND LEATHER BOOTS, MAN! :nono:

It'd take that molten gold just a split second to burn through those tennis shoes and into your foot!

Aside from that, good on you for culling this junk from the market!

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
fortunately the few times any spray of metal has happened because gold and silver is so dense it does not go far. also does not like to splatter. totally different animal. And metals than welding. Also much cooler than iron and steel.

Gold also cupels and becomes round due to the high surface tension. And because unlike iron it is an excellent conductor of heat. it Freezes almost instantly The splatter that has happened on rare occasion barely singes when it hits skin or clothing.

Been doing this for 15 years. the only times I have burned myself are on items that built up heat via friction from polishing or grinding.

because its gold, one is very careful with it. You don't spill it, waste it, it does not go anywhere except where you put it. I do casting on an aluminum plate to suck any heat from spills away so it all stays exactly where it falls. After casting it is quenched in water, and in moments is cool, As we are only working with a few ounces at a time.

Now when we run the big furnace that is a different story. In the lab also. Also when we are doing Platinum as it is a high melting temp.
If i was welding I would be dressed very differently. iron likes to spark and send 3000 degree sparks that can take a while to cool all over the place. The metal holds the heat for a long time. yeah. welding is dangerous with out the correct gear.

jewelry and gold work is completely different than welding. Every small jeweler out there that does small casting does it this way as it is so easy to do and so safe.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're going to be a better expert than I at the jewler's metals... just seeing the blowtorch and liquified metal without gloves and boots scares the hell out of me! I know my dad was/is a stickler for safety... he's seen too many people with 3rd degree burns and slag in the eyes over the years who weren't suiting up properly!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread