DDO Large Cent????

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I bought this 1835 large cent at my LCS on Friday for $20. I noticed the strong doubling on LIBERTY and had to have it. Now I am trying to figure out what error number it is. Thus far my research has turned up nothing. All i have been able to find are examples of the double profile piece. If any of yall have any insight i would appreciate it. Especially if yall know a good websight that has examples of large cent errors.

ForumRunner_20140420_171826.png

ForumRunner_20140420_171850.png

ForumRunner_20140420_171906.png

ForumRunner_20140420_171925.png

ForumRunner_20140420_171942.png

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While the doubling on "LIBERTY" is significant, it is flat and I do not believe that it is the result of a Double Die nor Die Deterioration doubling. I believe that "LIBERTY" was Recut for some reason similar to what Mint Workers did when they Recut a Date. There are quite a few varieties listed for the 1835 "Coronet Head" Large Cents but as far as I know, there are no true Double Dies known or listed. There are some of the 1835 LC's with the whole front of the face doubled from the Crown to the chin but again, I don't believe that they have been designated as Double Dies.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input Frank. Always enjoy reading your posts, and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Question for you on your response though. Are you saying that this "doubling" is similar to Lagrange doubling on indian head cents. I just find it hard to believe that this would be the cause based on the orientation of the "doubling". All of the doubling is in the same direction on all letters. With lagange type doubling it is in many different directions and usually creates a shelf like appearance around the entirety of a letter.

Just looking for a little more info. Thanks

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input Frank. Always enjoy reading your posts, and really appreciate you sharing your knowledge. Question for you on your response though. Are you saying that this "doubling" is similar to Lagrange doubling on indian head cents. I just find it hard to believe that this would be the cause based on the orientation of the "doubling". All of the doubling is in the same direction on all letters. With lagange type doubling it is in many different directions and usually creates a shelf like appearance around the entirety of a letter.

Just looking for a little more info. Thanks

You are welcome! While my assessment of the doubling on your' coin is only a theory, I have done my best to explain the reason for it.

No, I am not saying that the doubling on your' coin is Longacre Doubling and for two reasons! 1) For the same reason in which you explained Longacre Doubling, it cannot be this as it is only on one side while Longacre Doubling will be on two or more sides of letters and/or details. 2) The doubling on your' coin while only on one side (Northwest) is much more significant than Longacre Doubling. It is still my belief that the "LIBERTY" on your' coin was Recut and was probably done so because a flaw developed on the Die in the area of the original "LIBERTY" and the lettering was recut to correct the problem. How long the correction or recutting lasted during the use of the Die is anyones guess. However, it is very apparent that they had problems with the original Obverse Dies used for the 1835 LC's because they started using Dies designated for the 1836 LC production run to finish out the 1835 LC production quotas, thus the 1835 "Coronet Head" Large Cent "Head of 1836" Variety.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread