Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was going thru my detecting finds the other night and putting the "better shape" Coins in hard cases.

When I was putting them in the holder, I noticed the coins rotation on the back was different. I figured it was probally a common thing.
But then I looked at a handful of other Mercs from my Personal collection. and they were all the same.

Would this be considered a "Rotated Strike" or anything? Im sure my terminology is off. I just wanted to knwo if it were something common.

Its not off alot, but I couldnt find another Merc that was

thanks!

Attachments

• CAM01190.jpg
    CAM01190.jpg
    499.8 KB · Views: 242
  • CAM01191.jpg
    CAM01191.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 238

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is called a rotated die error. Those that bring the largest premium are those that are substantial. Yours is a slight (less than 20 degree die rotation), and might carry a couple bucks of premium with the right marketing.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Good information. Thanks.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is called a rotated die error. Those that bring the largest premium are those that are substantial. Yours is a slight (less than 20 degree die rotation), and might carry a couple bucks of premium with the right marketing.

I agree that it is a Rotated Die Error! Yes, those with the greater degree of rotation bring more and the rotation is both directions (i.e. Rotated 50 degrees Clockwise, Rotated 50 degrees Counter-Clockwise, etc., etc.). This is where I am not sure that Diggin-N-Dumps' coins are rotated less than 20 degrees! If when holding the coin with the Obverse straight up and down and you flip the coin over bottom towards the top when flipping (not flipped sideways (i.e. left towards the right or vice versa)), a normal coin will have a perfectly straight up and down Reverse. However, if when it is flipped over, the Reverse images/design elements are to the right or to the left, then these are respectively rotated Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise. Now, if when the coin is flipped over, if the images/design elements are perfectly upside down, then the Reverse Die is rotated 180 degrees from the Obverse Die. If Diggin-N-Dumps flipped his' coin over from bottom towards the top, then his' coins are rotated 170 degrees and 175 degrees Counter-Clockwise from the Obverses. By not knowing how they were flipped, one can only assume what the rotation of the Reverses are to the Obverses!

Diggin-N-Dumps...If you will 2x2 both coins with the Obverses perfectly aligned straight up and down, take a pic, then flip the coins over as stated above, then take another pic, then we can more easily assess the rotation of the Reverses to the Obverses.

Frank

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it is a Rotated Die Error! Yes, those with the greater degree of rotation bring more and the rotation is both directions (i.e. Rotated 50 degrees Clockwise, Rotated 50 degrees Counter-Clockwise, etc., etc.). This is where I am not sure that Diggin-N-Dumps' coins are rotated less than 20 degrees! If when holding the coin with the Obverse straight up and down and you flip the coin over bottom towards the top when flipping (not flipped sideways (i.e. left towards the right or vice versa)), a normal coin will have a perfectly straight up and down Reverse. However, if when it is flipped over, the Reverse images/design elements are to the right or to the left, then these are respectively rotated Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise. Now, if when the coin is flipped over, if the images/design elements are perfectly upside down, then the Reverse Die is rotated 180 degrees from the Obverse Die. If Diggin-N-Dumps flipped his' coin over from bottom towards the top, then his' coins are rotated 170 degrees and 175 degrees Counter-Clockwise from the Obverses. By not knowing how they were flipped, one can only assume what the rotation of the Reverses are to the Obverses!

Diggin-N-Dumps...If you will 2x2 both coins with the Obverses perfectly aligned straight up and down, take a pic, then flip the coins over as stated above, then take another pic, then we can more easily assess the rotation of the Reverses to the Obverses.

Frank

Ok, I can do that. and with better pics. I did flip it over from the way it was sitting in the picture bottom to top , not left to right.

thanks for the input everyone!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok, I can do that. and with better pics. I did flip it over from the way it was sitting in the picture bottom to top , not left to right.

If that was the case, then the coins are rotated pretty close to the numbers I gave (170 degree and 175 degree Counter-Clockwise) but I will wait to see the new pics to be sure! If the coins are in fact rotated that much, then they could fetch some significant premiums at Auction with great pics, excellent Listing Descriptions and great Titles. It is possible that by having the coins certified and graded with the Rotated Die attributions along with the Degree of Rotations noted on the label, might boost the price that they receive but some research is needed to make sure it is worth the cost.

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

He said they were flipped over the top so they don't have much rotation.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If the coins were held Obverses straight up and down (as in the first pic), then flipped from bottom towards the top and over, then the Reverses should be straight up and down if there is no Die Rotation. Since, the Reverses are upside down in the second pic and if flipped as stated, then they are Rotated close to 170 degrees and 175 degrees Counter-Clockwise respectively.

Frank

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have jars full of these and I just checked a couple hand fulls of them and found that most were tilted a little. There are some that are more out of alignment than others.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a website that tracks the Rarity for specific denominations and Series of U.S. coins (see the link below). The older the coin with Rotated Dies, apparently the higher the Rarity compared to newer coins. They may use other factors as well when determining the Rarity level. I do not know who owns/runs the website as I can find no mention of them, so I have no idea as to their' Qualifications concerning the numbers they give!

Based on what I could figure out from the lists as I they do not list every Date and Mint of every denomination and/or Series, I believe that Diggin-N-Dumps 1920-? Mercury Dime if it has a 170 degree CCW rotated Reverse, then it has a Rarity of (I believe) 6 and the 1937-? Mercury Dime if it has a 175 degree CCW rotated Reverse, then (I believe) it has a Rarity of 5 but possibly be a 6. These could be and probably are wrong due to not every Date, Mint, Denomination and Series being listed. Usually a coin must have a rotation of the Reverse Die of at least 30 degrees before a decent premium is seen but anything beyond 90 degrees, usually a signifcant premium is seen and usually if a coin has a Reverse that is 5 to 10 degrees from being 180 degrees rotated, then a much higher premium can be seen.

http://rotateddies.50webs.com/census.htm

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread