Cleaning Indian Head Cents

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
CLEANING IS BAD

I realize this. However I have approximately 1000 Indian head cents in G4-VG8 condition that have crud all over them. Currently they are worth no more then what someone will pay, 50 -75 cents a piece maybe. I am looking to go coin by coin and find RPD and other errors. However the dirt and grim on the coins is making this difficult. I have already found several RPD and die clashes on some of the cleaner samples so I know that they are in there.

I have not ever cleaned a coin as I do not believe in stripping away a coins history/patina. However, in this case I am willing to play ball as these coins have clearly seen better days and I wish to uncover them so that they may be treasured and respected once more. Any help is greatly appreciated. My main goal is to get the grime and dirt out of the digits in the dates like the 8's and 9's and 6's are very hard to clean. Do any of yall have suggestions for getting dirt out of these tight spaces.

Thanks in advance.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Soak the coins in Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil for several days up to several weeks depending how bad the crud is or if after a few days, the crud won't come off some of the coins. I personally prefer Extra Virgin Olive Oil and it will not hurt the patina on the coins and if anything, it might make the patina a little darker. Cut several green Rose Stems and leave a couple of green Rose Thorns on each one. By holding the stem, use a green Rose Thorn to clean the crud off the coins. The green Rose Thorns will not scratch or otherwise damage a Copper coin and due to the sharp point, you can usually remove crud from around and in-between letters and details. Once a coin has been cleaned, rinse it in fresh water, pat dry between the folds of a soft towel and then 2x2 the coin. I no longer recommend soaking in a warm water and dishwashing liquid bath then rinse, as the chemicals in the dishwashing liquid can react to contaminants on some coins and cause the coins to loose all patina and turn to a pinkish Copper look from which they will never recover (re-tone) to any desirable patina or toning.

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the grades you mention, I wouldn't worry too much about rubbing the coin a bit or gently using a soft bristled toothbrush. Acetone also works good on crud and won't kill the patina. In better grades, I would use huntsman's method.

Daddyd2x

Mar 31, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100
Whites 6000 DI coinmaster
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Moff,
I too have always wondered what would be the best way to clean a coin. I too have several that are in what appears to be excellent shape but dirty.
I have tried the Olive Oil thing that huntsman mentioned with very very little results. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, like do I need to heat up the Olive Oil?
Any way, good luck and if you do find a sure fire way of cleaning them w/o damaging them, please share.
Thank you,

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Moff,
I too have always wondered what would be the best way to clean a coin. I too have several that are in what appears to be excellent shape but dirty.
I have tried the Olive Oil thing that huntsman mentioned with very very little results. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong, like do I need to heat up the Olive Oil?
Any way, good luck and if you do find a sure fire way of cleaning them w/o damaging them, please share.
Thank you,

Most often, the Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil along with the use of the green Rose Thorns, work fine to remove most dirt and grime from Copper coins. However, sometimes an Acetone bath (usually just a minute or two will work) and rinsing and drying prior to the soaking in Olive Oil or Mineral Oil is necessary to release some dirt and grime of their' hold on coins due to what the dirt and grime contains (i.e. it's makeup). If the dirt and grime is combined with tars, oils, grease, gum, adhesives (glues or other) and some other compounds, Olive Oil or Mineral Oil alone will not release their' hold on coins. Just do not leave a coin in Acetone for long periods as it can and will damage them and always make sure to rinse and dry them before any other processes.

Frank

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Moff,
Thank you,
If it's corroded, neither of these methods will help much if at all.

OP
OP
moff347

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
There are very few corroded pieces. Mainly just gunk covered and it is not simply dirt. These things have black tar like stuff all over the place

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll need the acetone if it's tar or something similar. Alcohol and gasoline may dissolve it too but I'd use acetone. It should remove it quicker and safer.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions