1996 lincoln cent die crack reverse?

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it today in change at 7-11 as I looked at it in my hands I noticed the rather large crack but was unsure if it was plating bubbles. When i got home i very carefully poked the raised line to see if it would break open like a large plating bubble will do but nothing so im just gonna put it aside for now until i make up my mind?:dontknow:

DSCF3756.JPG DSCF3777.JPG

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Matthew... Congrats on a nice find! The line appears more uniform or straight unlike many Die Cracks and I have to wonder if the Die struck a previous coin through a piece of wire, the wire left an incuse impression on the Die and it was transferred to your' coin. If this was the case, it would be nice if you could find the coin that was struck through wire with the wire still intact! You would have the progression of the Error(s) and the two would be worth a lot more together.

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
interesting! huntsman53 would the other coin be in the same roll? How would you ever find that?:laughing7:

I'm no expert! Or even close, Or even close to close! I'm going to say nope!

Since the two coins and possibly some others with the same line (Error), would drop into the same bin once being struck, it is possible that they could end up in the same coin roll but not very likely. Although the odds are highly against a person finding the coin that was struck through by wire, it is not impossible. I once purchased a roll of 1921-D Morgan Silver Dollars and come to find out, there were 8 of the coins that showed the beginning of Die Cracks in the Obverse Die that they were struck with and part of the the progression of the Die Cracks to almost the total failure of the Die (i.e. several coins were missing in the scenario). What were the odds that I would find 8 coins in the same roll that were struck with the same Die that showed the progression of Die Cracks, I don't know but it was probably fairly high odds against me. If only I could have found every coin that showed the entire progression of the Die Cracks all the way to the failure of the Dies, then I would have had a pretty good payday.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions