Partial unplated penny?

Schallmeister

Jun 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received this back as change today and I immediately noticed something was different.

IMG_1353.JPG

The penny on the right is a 2014 D penny, while the penny on the left is a 2010 penny. Notice the penny on the right has some silver on the left side of the penny. It isn't scraped off, as I tried to see if would scrape off myself. I don't know if you can tell, but it appears as if the edge, where the silver is it, is a little wider than normal.

I don't know if this is common, or even if it makes any difference.. I just wanted to see exactly what is wrong with it and to see if I should hold on to it or something.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The top coin was struck slightly off-center and the resulting extra pressure expansion of the metal to fill the collar and create the rim, apparently caused the Copper plating to separate in that area.

Frank

OP
OP
S

Schallmeister

Jun 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
Thanks!
The cent is composed of copper coated zinc; you're seeing the zinc, not silver.
Well, I was just saying the color of it was silver, not that I was meaning it was actually silver.

The top coin was struck slightly off-center and the resulting extra pressure expansion of the metal to fill the collar and create the rim, apparently caused the Copper plating to separate in that area.
So is this what they call an error coin?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks!
Well, I was just saying the color of it was silver, not that I was meaning it was actually silver.

So is this what they call an error coin?

Yes but the error is probably to insignificant to give extra value to the coin! Sorry! Also, it takes a great eye to spot small errors like this one, so keep it up.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread