Can someone tell me what might have happened to this nickle?

Hollie

Jun 23, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
GT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, and glad to finally have joined. I am addicted to this site. Anyway, for my first post, I was hoping someone could help me figure out what happened to this nickle? Someone told me that it was rolled twice during minting or something? I am such a novice, and to not make myself look like a total dummy, I didn't question what that meant. I just figured the internet searches would reveal the info, however, that just brought up more confusion for me and ridiculous results. Thanks for any details :)

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0279.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dryer coin. A coin that was trapped where it rolled around for a long time.

OP
OP
H

Hollie

Jun 23, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
GT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! Very cool! So the heat of the dryer kind of warms the metal up to form the smooth edges I assume? Or how long was it in a dryer? Or did it happen with a lot of dyers from multiple people who left this coin in their pants? :) :)

Last edited:

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly doubt a dryer would do that, but I have seen guys make rings out of coins by hitting them with a spoon for hours on end, most give up at this stage and back into circulation it goes.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly doubt a dryer would do that, but I have seen guys make rings out of coins by hitting them with a spoon for hours on end, most give up at this stage and back into circulation it goes.

This phenomena is well documented and it most certainly happened in a dryer.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Thank you! Very cool! So the heat of the dryer kind of warms the metal up to form the smooth edges I assume? Or how long was it in a dryer? Or did it happen with a lot of dyers from multiple people who left this coin in their pants? :) :)

Hollie the damage to the coin is not caused by multiple people leaving the same coin in their pockets, but rather the nickel getting trapped in the dryer drum and spinning with the dryer cycles until the unit is repaired/cleaned professionally. Foreign objects are cleaned out and in your case the nickel was reintroduced into circulation.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Hollie the damage to the coin is not caused by multiple people leaving the same coin in their pockets, but rather the nickel getting trapped in the dryer drum and spinning with the dryer cycles until the unit is repaired/cleaned professionally. Foreign objects are cleaned out and in your case the nickel was reintroduced into circulation.

wow, that is some crazy specialized information there. I never would've have figured that out in 1 million years. Thx

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been trying to make dryer coins for years, but wifey keeps pocketing my experiments.:BangHead:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread