1923 P Peace Dollar (VAM or not???)

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Among some silver dollars I inherited is this oddity. Picture doesn't do it justice (expecially the tone or finish) but it has a distinct dbl rim (or groove) running the entire circumference. It also has a unique looking finish/appearance...either 'matte' or lacquer sheen that doesn't show up on any of the photos I've taken. Anyone have any ideas how to grade or value this thing?
70914.JPG

Here's another comparative pic that better shows the tonal feature, i.e., matte or lacquer finish. It has a 'champagne' tone and comparatively smooth surface.
70914b.JPG

Last edited:

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
Hello,
Nice coin. That is the sharpest strike I have ever seen on a 1923-P dollar. I wonder if it was a proof? You might take it to an established coin shop in your area for an opinion.
Good Luck,
Phil
(wagbert)

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
Nice coin. That is the sharpest strike I have ever seen on a 1923-P dollar. I wonder if it was a proof? You might take it to an established coin shop in your area for an opinion.
Good Luck,
Phil
(wagbert)

There are no proof Peace dollars so that is not a possibility, is there anyway you can get a more in focus picture? To really narrow things down we need a couple of answers, first question is if the reeding on the rim are normal and the second question is if the diameter of the coin is affected at all? I would also check it with a magnet to rule out a possible counterfeit coin? Until we have those answers we really are just guessing and like I said a better photo could say more.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
There are no proof 1923 Peace dollars so that is not a possibility, is there anyway you can get a more in focus picture? To really narrow things down we need a couple of answers, first question is if the reeding on the rim are normal and the second question is if the diameter of the coin is affected at all? I would also check it with a magnet to rule out a possible counterfeit coin? Until we have those answers we really are just guessing and like I said a better photo could say more.

I corrected your comment above regarding proof issues. As you know, there were indeed proofs in 1922, but none in 1923.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I corrected your comment above regarding proof issues. As you know, there were indeed proofs in 1922, but none in 1923.

There were actually Matte Proofs produced in both 1921 and 1922 for the Peace Dollar series.

Frank

I know of the 1921 and 1922 proofs but no 1923 Peace dollar proofs were made thats why i said not a possibility. Depending on what reference you use there is only five to eleven 1921 and 1922 coins known, Its much like the 1913 V nickel in the sense that I highly doubt another will be discovered although it is said that 20 original proof pieces were struck.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, they are extremely rare! However, it is not unheard of some surfacing as two 1922 "High Relief" Matte Proof Peace Dollars, a PF67 and a PF64 recently surfaced, graded by PCGS and were auctioned off by Ira & Larry Goldberg Coins & Collectibles. They were once owned by former U.S. Mint Director Raymond T. Baker. Another one also recently surfaced, was graded PF67 by NGC and auctioned off by Heritage Auctions. So, it is not impossible to find one or one happened to surface that has been tucked away in a long-time Collection. Just to clarify things more, there were both Matte and Satin Proof "High Relief" Peace Dollars minted in 1921, while there were (I believe) only Matte Proofs produced in 1922 but they were minted in both "High Relief" and "Low Relief".

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is a little hard to tell from the pic as coinguy*matthew stated, I believe that the O.P.'s 1923 Peace Dollar suffered a Partial Collar Strike.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread