Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have possible errors on both sides of this coin. Both minor but maybe they can add a little value.
there is some doubling on the nose, mouth and chin. Looks like machine doubling to me.
On the reverse it looks like maybe misaligned die in some ways to me but I'm not sure.
What do you think?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    317.5 KB · Views: 77
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    267.7 KB · Views: 85
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    530.6 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    383 KB · Views: 87

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Definitely Machine Doubling on the Obverse which pinched off a portion of the design to cause what looks like doubling. Now on the Reverse, I can see any edge reeding so I believe that the coin was sanded or ground down. However, if it does have the edge reeding, post a pic and maybe we can determine what happened to the coin. My first thoughts of the Reverse were a misaligned Collar until I saw that it appears that the coin has no edge reeding!

Frank

OP
OP
B

Bryan V

Dec 13, 2009
Washington State
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Monster 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Definitely Machine Doubling on the Obverse which pinched off a portion of the design to cause what looks like doubling. Now on the Reverse, I can see any edge reeding so I believe that the coin was sanded or ground down. However, if it does have the edge reeding, post a pic and maybe we can determine what happened to the coin. My first thoughts of the Reverse were a misaligned Collar until I saw that it appears that the coin has no edge reeding!

Frank

Thanks. Here are a couple more photos.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 81

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While the edge reeding is somewhat run down and weak, it is still there. Due to the off-set of the edge reeding from the rim or somewhat lack of a rim on the Reverse, I am of the belief that it was a Collar alignment problem.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread