Kennedy Quarters

diverrick

Jan 18, 2011
Vacaville, CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Minelab Eureka gold
Primary Interest:
Other
After my Mother died we had to go through her belongings. In the middle of all this stuff was a box filled with Kennedy Quarters. They are not that old, all are in circulated condition, so I am wondering why she kept them? What am I missing here? I also found a Nixon Spiro Agnew Inaugural commemorative coin. I figure considering how it all ended for tricky dick, this might have some value. The box with the presidential seal printed on it is not in such great shape but the coin is perfect. I think it came with a stand, that I never found.

I also got some really old Masonic stuff, I'd like to know about, so if anyone knows someone who is knowledgeable with Masonic stuff, please hook me up with him. I know the sword is my great grandfathers, as it has his name on it. The ring and hat are less known. I do know my father was a Grand Mason for our local chapter.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would be interested in seeing the Kennedy quarters, since Washington is on the quarters. Perhaps you mean half dollars? If so,what are the dates?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post some photos, we're all curious!

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't believe Kennedy was ever on a quarter. He was on the half. Are they half dollars?

I am a Mason and would be happy to take a look at the items.
The sword means he was a member of the Knights Templar (they are an appendant body to Freemasonry and the only one that I know of who use a ceremonial sword as part of their official dress).

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the previous posters have stated, Kennedy was issued on the half dollar coin, not on the Quarter. Since 1932, George Washington has been the face of our 25 cent piece.

Why did she save them? Ahhhh... It could be because she loved JFK.... I know that the generation that watched his murder loved him... cherished him. Perhaps she was saving them because of a reason of that nature. There is ANOTHER reason however. It's misinformation / misunderstanding. There are a lot of people now that think that the Half Dollar is made of silver. I've heard many people say this. Sure, it WAS made of silver up until 1970.. but since 71', no silver (except for special mint type sets). Perhaps she was saving the half dollars thinking they were silver and hence, worth more than face.

If you are looking to evaluate your coins, I would simply say this. Put aside all the half dollars with a date of 1970 and prior. All the coins that are 1971 and newer are generally worth face value. There are some key dates here and there (errors and such) you could look for, but, they are rare and your chances are slim. If you don't have the time, I'd just cash them in. If you have some silver ones, they can be worth a bit more than face value. You could sell these online, or you could even bring them to a local coin shop / silver shop and they will buy them from you.

I hope this helps!

theekman

Jan 1, 2013
Illinois
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the previous posters have stated, Kennedy was issued on the half dollar coin, not on the Quarter. Since 1932, George Washington has been the face of our 25 cent piece.

Why did she save them? Ahhhh... It could be because she loved JFK.... I know that the generation that watched his murder loved him... cherished him. Perhaps she was saving them because of a reason of that nature. There is ANOTHER reason however. It's misinformation / misunderstanding. There are a lot of people now that think that the Half Dollar is made of silver. I've heard many people say this. Sure, it WAS made of silver up until 1970.. but since 71', no silver (except for special mint type sets). Perhaps she was saving the half dollars thinking they were silver and hence, worth more than face.

If you are looking to evaluate your coins, I would simply say this. Put aside all the half dollars with a date of 1970 and prior. All the coins that are 1971 and newer are generally worth face value. There are some key dates here and there (errors and such) you could look for, but, they are rare and your chances are slim. If you don't have the time, I'd just cash them in. If you have some silver ones, they can be worth a bit more than face value. You could sell these online, or you could even bring them to a local coin shop / silver shop and they will buy them from you.

I hope this helps!

this plus anything post 1970 with an S mintmark could be silver as well.

edit: you covered that

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't really think this is going anywhere. The OP made the one post and hasn't responded back.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ignorance is bliss. ? I don't know how people can get emails and accounts set up but never think to simply google what they have

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see nothing in the previous posts that would come across as embarrassing. All answers suggested some confusion and suggested a recourse.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um maybe they are fake coins from who knows where? Thus ya can't spend them? If they are real they are not quarters tho I can't see how the 2 coins (a half & a quarter) could be confused as they say right on them what they are.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Is like to see one of those. Pics!

-Lady Liberty is hot stuff...especially on a coin

gaston

Greenie
Nov 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Eyes and Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thought; there have been quite a few Kennedy halves stamp on quarter blanchets or is it planchets. If that is what was found, all I can say is somebody will have a nice payday if they find an honest dealer.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting thought; there have been quite a few Kennedy halves stamp on quarter blanchets or is it planchets. If that is what was found, all I can say is somebody will have a nice payday if they find an honest dealer.
He found an entire box full four months ago, but never replied to the inquiries.

gaston

Greenie
Nov 27, 2014
Detector(s) used
Eyes and Hands
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gonna take the new old guy a while to learn the ins and outs of this site. with that said, thanks for the info fistfullofdirt.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread