Would this fool a pro?? Are you a pro?

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The link below is from the website i beleive my recent fake morgans came from, they also have these actual 90% silver fakes as well.. what do you guys think? i worry pretty soon these are all you will be able to find, if you can tell them apart.. i sapose for just run of the mil ones, if mae from silver wouldnt hurt to much, but for the key dates... thats a rap

Aliexpress.com : Buy U.S. Coins 1887 O Morgan One Dollar 90% Silver Copy Coin Can Choose Many Kinds to Make Old Style from Reliable coin keyring suppliers on A coin

take a look

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
While it is not wise to try to determine a fake or counterfeit coin from pics alone, it sometimes can be done! In the case of the 1887-O Morgan Dollar at the link you provided can be identified as a fake or copy due to the following: A) incorrect orientation of the Stars on the Obverse (i.e. no matter where the stars are placed on the coin and considering that the coin's planchet is a disk with 360 degrees of orientation, the inward points of the stars should always point directly toward the true center of the disk and the outward points directly away from the center), B) the "R" in PLURIBUS is all wrong, C) the "I" in IN GOD WE TRUST is tilted (North Northeast to South Southwest) and not straight up and down as it should be, D) both "I's" in TRUST are wrong and E) due to the Obverse rim being thin and the Reverse rim being thick. While some might say that the latter reasoning may have been due to a Collar alignment problem, I can say with fair confidence that this was not due to a Collar problem. Although again, the pics are unwise to use but in this case, I believe that the fixed/stationary setup that they used to take pics of the Obverse and Reverse of the coin, show the true problem with the coin. That problem is that the Reverse Die used to produce this copy of an 1887-O Morgan Dollar was actually smaller in diameter than the Obverse Die, thus allowing more metal flow into the Collar which created a wider rim. Those are my thoughts on the coin but I would love to read other thoughts and opinions as they may see something I did not see!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While it is not wise to try to determine a fake or counterfeit coin from pics alone, it sometimes can be done! In the case of the 1887-O Morgan Dollar at the link you provided can be identified as a fake or copy due to the following: A) incorrect orientation of the Stars on the Obverse (i.e. no matter where the stars are placed on the coin and considering that the coin's planchet is a disk with 360 degrees of orientation, the inward points of the stars should always point directly toward the true center of the disk and the outward points directly away from the center), B) the "R" in PLURIBUS is all wrong, C) the "I" in IN GOD WE TRUST is tilted (North Northeast to South Southwest) and not straight up and down as it should be, D) both "I's" in TRUST are wrong and E) due to the Obverse rim being thin and the Reverse rim being thick. While some might say that the latter reasoning may have been due to a Collar alignment problem, I can say with fair confidence that this was not due to a Collar problem. Although again, the pics are unwise to use but in this case, I believe that the fixed/stationary setup that they used to take pics of the Obverse and Reverse of the coin, show the true problem with the coin. That problem is that the Reverse Die used to produce this copy of an 1887-O Morgan Dollar was actually smaller in diameter than the Obverse Die, thus allowing more metal flow into the Collar which created a wider rim. Those are my thoughts on the coin but I would love to read other thoughts and opinions as they may see something I did not see!

Frank

so they are not as good as they think.... good to know, and good to know what to keep a eye out for

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
so they are not as good as they think.... good to know, and good to know what to keep a eye out for

That is just a few things I saw wrong with the coin! However, there are some folks that will take the time to count the denticles on the Obverse and Reverse, try to match a coin to a specific Die Marriage and other things as well but they will probably go blind in the process.

Frank

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have recently ran into a bunch of fakes. I Mic and weight all coins before purchase now with Morgans these days. I also only buy high dollar coins that are raw on contingent of them being graded and buy one grade behind. This costs a bit more but you end up not losing your shirt.

Cheers - Koffee

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well the ones i just bought all weighed up.. they are a tad thicker in the rim then a real morgan, but not that noticeable.. the ring is the only thing that really is noticeable, but of course i forgot to bring my 2 real morgans, one cull one really fine, so i did hear a ring when i flicked it, but not the long sustained ring of a silver coin.. but with them selling fakes on 90% silver you could be fooled.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread