coin cleaning

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Oh let him clean one and see how it looks. This forum has post after post about cleaning coins. Just
scroll down and read the advise. Welcome to TNet.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to treasure hunting, and I want to know the best methods for cleaning coins. What is the best way to clean a coin without causing further damage? Thanks.
Welcome to Tnet! There is a whole section on cleaning and preserving finds. Basically, if it's valuable, you don't want to do anything harsh that will effect the value. Soap and water, maybe some acetone and/or olive oil is about all you should do. If they're not valuable, there are all kinds of methods to make them look shiny again.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I know diggers that buff their silver to a gleaming shine.
I know others that leave the coin encrusted with dirt.
Different strokes.

Personally, I've tried all the methods (hot peroxide baths and olive oil soaks can ruin a decent coin, never again for me). Now, if it's anything, a gentle rinse with water.

OP
OP
N

nhartman2

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2014
WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! So far, baking soda works best for clad.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has been gone over many times, But i have the best way to clean my clad was with a tumbler, and a little powered Dish detergent...and a little bit of oil so that the tumbler doesnt get corroded...Other than that , i just keep most my coins as is from the ground after i rinse them off in water

OP
OP
N

nhartman2

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2014
WI
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you are dead right. Anything valuable I will leave as is.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually after I accumulate some silver dimes I would soak them for about two days of mild solution of Dawn liquid soap & hot water in a Rx bottle, shake every now & then, rinse several times, pat dry with paper towel/tissue. The Dawn will dissolve a lot of the oily junk that's on coins. They used Dawn to clean up the oil spill from the Val-Dez oil spill on water fowl back in the late '80's, and did the trick. So I also use it on coins. It works.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Usually after I accumulate some silver dimes I would soak them for about two days of mild solution of Dawn liquid soap & hot water in a Rx bottle, shake every now & then, rinse several times, pat dry with paper towel/tissue. The Dawn will dissolve a lot of the oily junk that's on coins. They used Dawn to clean up the oil spill from the Val-Dez oil spill on water fowl back in the late '80's, and did the trick. So I also use it on coins. It works.

Quicker and safer to just use acetone.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious what gunk gets stuck on Silver coins that need chemicals and soaked for days? I get them where they are black, and just rub them with my fingers under water and they are cleaned up...I dont try to polish them or anything, just make them look silver again.

the ones i get with tar or cement on, i just scrub with baking soda and most of it comes off.

it seems like alot of people spend ALOT of time and effort to clean somethign that should be pretty easy to clean without soaking or chemicals

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious what gunk gets stuck on Silver coins that need chemicals and soaked for days? I get them where they are black, and just rub them with my fingers under water and they are cleaned up...I dont try to polish them or anything, just make them look silver again.

the ones i get with tar or cement on, i just scrub with baking soda and most of it comes off.

it seems like alot of people spend ALOT of time and effort to clean somethign that should be pretty easy to clean without soaking or chemicals

D-n-D, you said that you use a tumbler... I was thinking that using a tumbler with walnut shell media would be a good way to clean zincolns that are rather cruddy and may not go through the coin-counter. Do you think that this is a good idea?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
D-n-D, you said that you use a tumbler... I was thinking that using a tumbler with walnut shell media would be a good way to clean zincolns that are rather cruddy and may not go through the coin-counter. Do you think that this is a good idea?

In all honesty, does it really matter? Just try it and see how it comes out. If your goal is just to get them clean enough to go through the coin counter then I would imagine any method of cleaning would suffice.

Higgy

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2014
NH
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess it really doesn't matter. :dontknow:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

When it comes to Wheats and Clad, I dont use any media, just cheap dishwasher soap, and a little oil. the cheapest way is the best way for clad. I only use the oil to protect my metal pieces on the tumbler. They always vary of being cruddy and some clean, I have tried to to clean them by hand good, but ended up jamming a coinstar and pissed off the lady that had to fix it.

Tumbler is easy because i can set it up, and after 4-5 beers...its ready to go!

I just leave my Silver alone, and my Buffs/Vnicks and IH's, I soak in oil...very surprised that it works, but it does

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot will depend on where you find the coin. In parks where they use lots of fertilizer or at the beach, they can get pretty crusty, so crusty that water or soap and water just won't get the job done. Crusty clad, just tumble them. I use powdered laundry soap, vinegar, and gravel. I'm not going to waste more money on something just going through a Coinstar. Wheats, silver, jewelry, will depend on how bad they're encrusted. I always start with soap and water, then acetone if it looks like something that will dissolve. I then move on to vinegar bath in an aluminum pan. That usually will do the trick on most everything. If not, I go to electrolysis. I rub them with baking soda and rinse after those procedures. Rare/valuable coins or jewelry I take on an individual basis depending on how valuable and how bad the deposits looks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread