coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_4465.JPG IMG_4466.JPG IMG_4467.JPG IMG_4468.JPG I would like to know the grades for these two coins. One of them is a 1787 British Halfpenny and the other is a 1940 Liberty Walking half dollar.

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about the half penny. I would say that your walking liberty half is a strong AU.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say the British coin is AU cleaned with environmental damage, and the Walker is XF and also cleaned.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Halfpenny looks like a contemporary counterfeit. Definitely not Machin's Mills.

The date is not 1787 but probably 1772 or 1773.

Looks to have some environmental damage but it is still XF details.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know nothing about Half Pennies .
But
Ill have to agree with cudmark on the Walker. XF Cleaned '; Tho It's hard to tell from a picture about the Cleaned Part.

IMO I have seen BU Walkers that look that shiny but it does seem that if the coin was never cleaned it might show some sort
of Toning .

What Do I know Tho.

Davers

OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no idea what I paid for the walker or if my dad gave it to me. I really like it. How much do you think I could get for it if I sell it?

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO I would have to get a real close look at the HalfPenny but off the cuff I do not like the aging or the wear on that coin it raises some questions. The Half Dollar is a nice coin but i do not think it is gradable The fine surface scratches would make me lean toward thinking it was cleaned. I also do not like where the dirt has accumulated which can be caused by rubbing.

Cheers - Koffee

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think the halfpenny would be worth getting authenticated?

In order to answer your question, you would first have to understand the differences between a colonial counterfeit halfpenny, a british counterfeit halfpenny, and a regal (genuine) halfpenny. You would have to understand what makes each category collectible in its own regard.

I already told you that yours is NOT a colonial (Machin's Mills) counterfeit halfpenny. This is the most desirable and valuable of the categories. That leaves british counterfeit or regal. In its current condition, regal would be the least valuable as it would not appeal to your run of the mill world coin collectors. It would never be "slab-able" without a details grade and thus, fairly low valued.

I strongly believe it to be a british counterfeit, which would make this coin collectible to specialty collectors but probably not collectible to run of the mill collectors (because all counterfeits are bad, right?).

So, given that explanation, I ask, what would be the purpose of having it authenticated?

If you really want to know more about it, post some CLEAR pictures of the date. I can tell you that I paid $150 for a british counterfeit that would be described as problem free AU (some might even call it UNC). Yours might be worth $20-50 on a good day.

EDIT: Your coin is dated 1773 and is in the british counterfeit "family" known as "Aging George".

Last edited:
OP
OP
coinsareawesome

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had originally taken the coin down to a guy that I know who had personally worked with Mel Fisher, the famous treasure ship diver. He said that it was real but could not give me an accurate grade. And that, jersyben, is why I had originally asked what the grade was, and now my question is, would it be worth getting graded.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe, only if you plan on selling it online....and then only if it's worth enough to justify it. IMO neither are valuable enough.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had originally taken the coin down to a guy that I know who had personally worked with Mel Fisher, the famous treasure ship diver. He said that it was real but could not give me an accurate grade. And that, jersyben, is why I had originally asked what the grade was, and now my question is, would it be worth getting graded.

Just because he worked with him doesn't make him an authority on British halfpennies though. The old phrase "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing". I would see if there is a decent coin show in your area, or a shop that has someone that specializes in that specific coinage if you wanted to be hands on sure. They could also give it a rough grade, but as we learn in the hobby, grading is more of an art than a science.

Otherwise, post detailed pictures and there are some experienced people who can make a fair analysis, but nothing definite.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I feel like I'm in the twilight zone over here...

See post #5 and #11.

I already answered every question the OP has. It has an approximate grade of XF details, environmental damage. The value is between $20-$50.

"Your coin is dated 1773 and is in the british counterfeit "family" known as "Aging George".

I don't know what else there is to say about it? This is a 100% "definite analysis".

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both coins are XF 45...

jfreakofkorn

Jul 19, 2012
behind a desk ...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you have some nice coin(s) there =0)

the half dollar looks to be FINE or better

Walking Liberty Half Dollar Value | Exciting

and the british half penny ........ looks to be well circulated or a copy ( fear to trend on that one )

George III - A Collection of British coins.

with this one, seems to be a little iffy. because of it being a bit tough to find out in the wild ( as in not being in a graded coin slab )

key date(s) are known to be counterfeited alot for their big value. might want to have it chequed out by an coin expert, to determine if it is real or not

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread