1852 three cent coin error.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this three cent coin the other day and realized something odd. Second pic, right side of coin. DSC01978.JPG DSC01980.JPG From what I can tell it is a bit of extra silver fused to the coin. The "M" appears to run under the nub and the "E" on the high nub. I can't see how this would of been possible with one strike unless the "E" was added alone after strike ? Anyone have any thoughts on this anomaly?

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just to be more clear after getting a better look I was wrong the M and R both run onto the nub like Worldtalker stated. Of course we can clearly see the E on the nub. In my searches no other 3 cent errors like this came up. I know it is a common date but what kind of value would this add to coin? I guess like anything else it is hard to gage if there are no others out there like it. Just nice to have a rough idea what kind of value I have here.

Pa_Dirtfisher

Sep 28, 2014
Mercer County
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Safari. Whites TRX pin pointer and Deteknix pin pointer, Lesche digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its looks like a piece from a different coin was broke and stuck to it because the back looks completely normal. Almost like you could pick it off I wouldn't tho. Definitely can't wait to find out what you figure out tho. Sweet find for sure!

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok took it to a coin shop during lunch to have it looked at and guy said it is a planchet error. So basically it not a die error,, it was already there on the blank "planchet" before the coin was struck. Makes sense to me, learn something every day!

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Problem is, if there was something on the planchet before it was struck it would be flattened during striking. There is no way the flat die could strike the raised piece as well as the rest of the coin without flattening the raised portion. Very peculiar, but not completely sure it is an error.

worldtalker

Gold Member
May 11, 2011
Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Problem is, if there was something on the planchet before it was struck it would be flattened during striking. There is no way the flat die could strike the raised piece as well as the rest of the coin without flattening the raised portion. Very peculiar, but not completely sure it is an error.

Peculiar indeed..I have no understanding at all how something like this happens in a pressing operation.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yeah I was thinking same thing. I asked coin shop owner if it was a bolb of lead or something or someone did it messing around at some point. His opinion was that it is some type of legit mint error. Yeah how could a harden steel die or what every metal they are made of stamp the E and then a fraction of a millimeter below stamp the M and R ? The other side of the coin I can see but not around the cud? The M and R appear just a bold as the rest of the lettering. It crossed my mind the only way possible is that it was a die break with the cud missing the E and the E was added alone? Still does not make sense if the M and R run onto the cud. Unless they were punched a second time by hand? I am no coin expert by any means. I found it at a site that 90 % percent of finds have been 1800's out in a corn field. I just can't see some guy in say 1860 purposely doing something like that to a coin? Today yes in order to fool the unsuspecting coin collector of it being an error and selling it a higher value. Like I said above about the site where it was found, also I sure know I didn't do it in order to fool anyone. Also want to mention the coin guy said some of the stars on the opposite side at area looked bit deformed. Might be worth the bucks to have it graded and have if confirmed it is legit. In pic cud looks darker then the rest of coin but that is just from the light casting a bit of a shadow. In person it is same shade as rest of coin or as silver should look.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread