Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it would be interesting to have a thread for pics and descriptions of known fake, altered, coins or bullion. Just curious what other people have run into. It might also give Ideas to people of what to watch out for. Or maybe even post a pic of a coin that you know is real or fake and see what other people think. Then tell everyone if it's real or fake after a while. Of course I'm not prepared to put any pics on right this sec. So, I'll see what I can dig up that I have found or bought by mistake.

willis7

Mar 29, 2014
LiteCoins, they are copper rounds plated with silver, but have all the right markings ".999 fine silver" "one troy ounce"

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I think this thread is a very good idea, thank you for starting this conversation and show & tell.

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am not sure if it would be considered altered, but I have two Lincoln/Kennedy pennies, with Kennedy's head to the right of Lincoln's, like this one...
index.jpg

OP
OP
Nitric

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still fighting with the camera and light. These came out a little better.

This is 1916 D, I'm guessing it's a reworked 1918 D not really sure. I do know it's been worked on and the silver was moved around, shaping it into a 6.

1916 D 004.JPG 1916 D 008.JPG

If you click the pic and click on it two more times. You can really see where it was worked on. I just figured that out. lol I'm sure everyone else already knew this!:laughing7:

The camera really changes it. If your holding this in your hand or looking at it through a 2x2 it looks good! Something that would be missed without looking under a magnifying glass or a loupe!

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Nitric, you've an interesting collection! Hopefully these did not skewer you for too much of a loss. I remember hearing about fake Morgans back in the 80's. I may have some myself. When I get more settled I'm putting them all on the scale. I also bought a "slide" a few months ago, but in my "change of life" to retirement and relocation I've had too much on my plate to really spend any quality time checking them out.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Let's bump this and keep it bumped :) There's others who have more experience than I do with counterfeits, like Marchese (sp?)

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a coin I actually found Metal Detecting...it was a nearly surface find in a sandy spot at this area.

At first i thought it was my best coin to date! But I posted it on here and pretty much got told it was a fake. It was just crazy, because the area I found it had been closed down for a few years and fenced off.

So i really don't know WHO put it there...But anyhoo..I was told from some peeps on here it looked altered

1911 S Wheat_Front.png Wheat Back.png

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a coin I actually found Metal Detecting...it was a nearly surface find in a sandy spot at this area.

At first i thought it was my best coin to date! But I posted it on here and pretty much got told it was a fake. It was just crazy, because the area I found it had been closed down for a few years and fenced off.

So i really don't know WHO put it there...But anyhoo..I was told from some peeps on here it looked altered

View attachment 1081294 View attachment 1081296

Definitely looks like an altered 1944 to me. The spacing looks to off to be 1911.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know someone who used to collect fake bust half dollars. He had about 200 of them. It's amazing what's out there. Also, most of the British George III halfpence that circulated around the US in the late 1700's were counterfeit's made in England. Particularly if you find a 1775 it is probably fake.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1079915

Morgan and trade dollars....All older fakes!!!!!! I'll get pics and weights of the better looking coins. Some of these got scraped or a wear spot put into them to make sure they stand out as fake. Some even have rust. These are older...One dead give away with most of these Morgans was their diameter. They don't fit in the tubes and their sound. If you run a stack of Morgans through your hands kind of dropping them into your palm, and one of these is in the pile, it will make a different sound too. The newer fakes are a lot harder to tell the difference.

What's scary is half of the coins are worn common dates.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread