1970D Kennedy Half Dollars

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A while back I purchased a bunch of uncirculated U.S. mint sets at an auction. Not the type of thing I usually buy, but the price seemed really good. The auction lot included 10 1970 uncirculated sets (P&D), all in original mint cellophane and envelopes. I sold a few in 99 cent auctions with free shipping (drawing attention to the 1970D half dollar) and ended up with between $15.50 and $16.50 per set. When I look on ebay for sold prices on uncirculated 1970D halves that are not in mint sets the prices are the same, and sometimes better, than what I received for the whole mint set (and I am not talking about slabbed and certified coins). I realize that many buyers may just be after the half dollar and not anything else, but surely the half plus the rest of the set is worth more than the half alone. What gives? Would I be better off taking the halves out of the set? Even out of the cello?

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to leave the sets the way they are, but if your sets are going for $15.50, you'd be better off taking them out. The regular mint sets (P,D, and S) are worth around $18, and the half dollars are worth the same. It's your choice though.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back when I was real young, must have been 1975 or so, I found a 1970-D at the beach parking lot. I didn't think anything of it, except for it was ALOT of money, because I had gotten a half dollar from the tooth fairy a bit earlier, now I had TWO half dollars, and I was going to save them for ever and ever. Sure enough, I still had it years later as my interest in coin collecting grew. Imagine my surprise when I got the Whitman book, with the 70-D space in the book pre-slabbed, telling me that it was "only for mint sets" At that very moment, I thought I was the greatest coin collector...... ever!:headbang:Awesome!

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a 1970 set a while back and got the half dollar and 1970s small date penny. That penny is worth more than the whole set. The 1970d half is the most valuable 40% half minted.

OP
OP
C

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All my sets have the 1970s cent, but I have not been checking those for a small date - maybe I should!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread