Spanish Coin 1660 double strike, overstrike?.....

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone, bought this coin online for like $30.00. Seems to be an overstrike, or double strike, I am not sure? About the size of a dime, or a little bit smaller. Dated 1660 0 Eagle appears to be doubled, some lettering is missing metal, others seem to have too much metal, some letters are cracked, or raised up? Anyone got an estimate on what errors it has and possible value? Thanks.

Attachments

• $_57 (11).JPG
    $_57 (11).JPG
    237.5 KB · Views: 142
  • $_57 (12).JPG
    $_57 (12).JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 139
Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, pretty clearly the reverse is double struck. I'm guessing it's not a rare, or valuable coin in general, but with the error it might double the value or maybe even better. There's no book value for an error so it's really just what someone wants to pay. It's a fairly high grade so that really adds to the eye appeal. BTW... certain types of coins it's common to have striking errors, and of course that would take a little or a lot of the interest away.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett: Grand Master Hunter CX III, CX Plus, GTI 2500, GTI 1500, GTA 1000 Ultra, Tesoro Lobo Super track, Sorex Pro, Discovery Electronics: Treasure Baron GoldTrax, Treasure Baron CoinTrax. Minelab:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron Patch, yeah, I really like the coin! Great eye appeal! Not really looking to sell it anyway, just trying to get a ballpark figure, you know? If you look close at the obverse, the o on the bottom left side, has a crack in it and upper right has missing letters and below that the E X of REX, has added metal. I always wonder how this kind of stuff happens? Don't really understand the process very well. I have several other Ancient Coin error coins, so will probably trot them out eventually, as I get to them. Anyway, thanks for the response, appreciate it, Big Red

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Iron Patch, yeah, I really like the coin! Great eye appeal! Not really looking to sell it anyway, just trying to get a ballpark figure, you know? If you look close at the obverse, the o on the bottom left side, has a crack in it and upper right has missing letters and below that the E X of REX, has added metal. I always wonder how this kind of stuff happens? Don't really understand the process very well. I have several other Ancient Coin error coins, so will probably trot them out eventually, as I get to them. Anyway, thanks for the response, appreciate it, Big Red

Back in those early days a lot of the coins they made didn't have a lot of value and they made them by the millions.... add in mints that didn't have super high quality controls, and what they were using for dies to strike the coins was likely not a big deal... and that's why there is errors, and the other little things you describe.

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, your right. The people who sold it to me, said it might be Spanish and I thought the word(s) SOL REX and SOLID sounded Spanish? I was looking at Spanish coins, last night, but not really anything like it found. Any ideas? Most Spanish Coin portraits I've seen don't have wavy haired Spaniards on them either? I still don't have the actual coin yet, but when I receive it, the two shields between the birds may reveal something I can track down.
In Latin, the word SOL means SUN and the word REX means Regis, Masculine and King!

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Big Red:
That image is of the Imperial Eagle of Poland; most likely a 1 solidus from the era fo the Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569-1795) when Johann I Casimir Vaza Van Polen was the head of statet. The legend should read: POLON 1660 SOLID REGN /IONA CAS REX.
Don.;...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big Red:
That image is of the Imperial Eagle of Poland; most likely a 1 solidus from the era fo the Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569-1795) when Johann I Casimir Vaza Van Polen was the head of statet. The legend should read: POLON 1660 SOLID REGN /IONA CAS REX.
Don.;...

You know that's interesting because only opening this thread again and seeing the pics, I really wonder about that obverse.... because I would have guess Spanish also, because I have a coin in mind that I'm pretty sure is the same bust, and I thought they were Spanish... or maybe from the French states, or something like that. But the reverse is definitely not the eagle... it's like a square, or shield... something like that. I can likely find a pic in one of my books.

Hopefully the seller didn't add an incorrect image... but you would think he would have caught the mistake by now.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
The 'TLB' initials at the base of his neck stand for Titus Livius Boratini, the designer of the coin--which was minted in Krakow.
What appears as an addition 'zero' after the date is suppose to be a rosette.
I have no explanation for the double (or botched) image.
Don....

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don, looks like you got it, for sure, thanks! I had previously looked at 16TH/17TH Century Coins of Poland and did not find anything like it (Don't know why that is?) Maybe now, with all your information, I can actually find a few examples of the coin! According to the Seller, it is a "Double Strike" coin, so that explains the double image on the date and of the Imperial Eagle and Shield. Great work Don, thanks to everyone, who helped! Big Red

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch, looks like Don has found it! I guess it means your coin , if like mine, is a Coin of Poland, Lithuanian Commonwealth (1569-1795) ? Thanks IP, Big Red

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got it Don and apparently these coins are not very popular with collectors owing to the deceptive practices of the Mint Dude you mentioned, Boratini? Who apparently, not only designed the coin, but minted it also, or was in charge of the mint? I guess he was doing some skimming of funds on the copper coins? Or was being paid too much? The translation was kind of odd, using words in sentences, that do not fit? If I read the article correctly, the coin is still in disfavor today, with collectors? Rarely worth more than 10 dollars? Since I paid $30.00 that is not great news for me either!.....In this instance, error coins are probably worth very little, but I will reserve my opinion, until my investigation is finished. Thanks for the info. Don. Now I will see what I can find out about the error coins, if I can find out anything at all. Big Red

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Big Red,
Yes, Borotini worn several faces and was very deceptive in his practices; and fakes have been attributed to his coinage. If real, the prices range from less than $5 in good condition. The greatest values you may already have received--the historic value of the coin and the educational value of buying online; perhaps with more emotion than with first researching. In any event, I was pleased to assist and join you in learning the history.
Don........

OP
OP
Big Red

Big Red

Feb 4, 2012
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don.....
:icon_thumright::headbang::occasion14::laughing7::icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread