Help needed

Glenn Webber

Greenie
Oct 25, 2014
Anyone can date this coin, and what grading do you think I can say it is? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418190861.543958.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
You ask for date and grade. Have you first identified it?
I believe is shows the facing bust of Romanus I.
Romanus ,beared,wearing crown and jewelled c halamys, and holding labarum transversely.
David Sears #1760. Will check further.
Don...

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Glenn Webber

Greenie
Oct 25, 2014
Thanks Don for you feedback, what is rarity R1? What grade do you think the coin will be, has it any value, I've only just started looking at coin as a hobby.

OP
OP
G

Glenn Webber

Greenie
Oct 25, 2014
Hi Don,

I got the pictures of the to top coins from the net, the bottom picture is my coin. I fond the writing on my coin is not the same as the above two, is the below coin the some as the above two coins or some error? ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1418327332.533991.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would suggest you not post pictures "off the net" on the forum without getting permission from the owner of said photo. That is copyright infringement and can get you and the forum into a lot of trouble.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Glenn,
In David Sear's book, "Byzantine Coins and their values" 2010 updated reprint, he makes mention that the text written on the reverse side is (blah, blah) "or very similar", which might suggest the difference you have noted. Sear makes no distinction, however, in the valuation between the varieties. At the time of his writing, he placed a value on this coin of 12 British pounds in VF and 30 in EF.
Don.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread