Can someone tell me if these are of value?

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and these coins are my first find. I don't know a whole lot about coins and looking for some info on them.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419127369.912261.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419127387.892850.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419127400.047189.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419127410.794925.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1419127421.396106.jpg

Dennisjf12

Dec 18, 2014
Massillon, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer AT, Garrett bags
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lucky guy, I wish I had them, did you want an approximate value ?

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be great! I found all three within a 6" radius and about 8" deep. I couldn't believe it when I found them it was amazing.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
first of all, wash your hands before you eat!!

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice. 😄 After that day I invested in a decent pair of gloves.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing particularly valuable but they are nice finds! The half dollar is worth $10-$15. The dime looks like it has some detail, maybe $7-$10?? It is always fun to find a mint mark on these old coins too, nice job!

Last edited:

Nov 19, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to metal detecting and you start with the ATX?

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to metal detecting and these coins are my first find. I don't know a whole lot about coins and looking for some info on them.

View attachment 1094774 View attachment 1094775 View attachment 1094776 View attachment 1094777 View attachment 1094778

The Half-dollar G-4 condition is worth around $10
the Dime G-4 condition is worth about $3.50

I don't know if they'd be worth more as "silver melt" as they both are .90 silver

I can't make out the date on the IH.

Nice finds - I'd take them all day long!

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the information. If you don't mind me asking what does G-4 stand for?

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much for the information. If you don't mind me asking what does G-4 stand for?

Coins are traded on a scale from 0-70 with 70 being perfect. G4 is a coin which grades Good (hence the G) and 4 is the numerical value of the grade. It is called the Sheldon Scale.

Eureka!

Mar 11, 2014
Northeast Coast USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO 5x8 Coil - VULCAN 360 Pinpointer -Lesche Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

The following is BASIC or the short version from the book 2014 Coins and Prices UPC number U6359 - [www.Numismaster.com]

All graded by the weaker side of the two sides of the coin. Age or rarity should not be considered in grading.

About Good AG-3 = Only Silhouette of the large design is visible

Good G-4 = Design clearly outlined but substantial wear. Some of the larger detail may be visible. The rim may have a few weak spots.

Very Good VG-8 = About 25% of the original detail will be visible. There will be heavy wear on the entire coin.

Fine F-12 = About 50% of the original design will be visible. Or, a coin that has no inner detail; their will be fairly heavy wear over the entire coin. Sides of the letter will be weak. An uncleaned coin will be dirty or dull.

Very Fine VF-20 = About 75% of the original detail will be visible. Corners of letters and numbers may be weak.

Extremely Fine XF-40 = About 95% of the original detail will be visible - very light wear over the whole coin.

Almost Uncirculated AU-50 = All detail will be visible. Wear only on the highest parts of the coin.
Half or more of the original mint luster still present.

Uncirculated MS-60 = No wear, or signs of handling under a 30X microscope.

Proof = Coins struck by a special process using polished blanks. The coin doesn't start out being a Proof; they receive their own grading designation and once they are graded a Proof coin, they are always a proof coin unless they are mishandled then the coin becomes an "impaired proof."

Hope this helps.

Ask me the time and I'll give you the history of the clock. Hah ha.

Duke

Jun 11, 2009
Woodstock N.Y.
Detector(s) used
QXT
If course each type of coin has a different standard of what constitutes each grade you need a red or blue book red is what dealers get blue is around what you would get black book is middle I like the blue so I don't over value anything it will tell you almost everything you need to know a must have

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for the info.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
First off - absolutely great finds for your first shot at metal detecting. Finding a Walking Liberty half dollar on your first adventure? Many detectorists go months, even years before finding one. And a Barber Dime? I've been detecting since 1981 and have yet to find one.

And the dark illegible coin, that's a 1902 V-Nickel, not an IH.

Keep it up with the great finds.

OP
OP
G

Gath

Dec 20, 2014
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off - absolutely great finds for your first shot at metal detecting. Finding a Walking Liberty half dollar on your first adventure? Many detectorists go months, even years before finding one. And a Barber Dime? I've been detecting since 1981 and have yet to find one.

And the dark illegible coin, that's a 1902 V-Nickel, not an IH.

Keep it up with the great finds.

I guess I should have clarified a little better. It wasn't my first time out I had about 15 hours in total before I found those. These were just my first good find before that I spent all my time digging up pull tabs, aluminum cans and junk iron. This was my first time out where I was actually able to start to understand what my detector was saying to me. I shouldn't have started out with an ATX but I couldn't pass up buying it. The guy I bought it from was selling it dirt cheap (guess he was hurting for money). It has been frustrating at times but the more I take it out the better I'm getting who knows what I've been missing. Thank you for responding.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread