Lets try this Again...

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Let's try this Again...

Posted up about this a while back and don't get a single response.

Can any of you coin guys recommend a USB-type camera/microscope to photograph coins with?

I want to be able to capture fine details for cataloging purposes, but am overwhelmed with the Amazon reviews and whatnot.

Needs to be compatible with a new-model IMac... Preferably plug and play.

Thanks!

~Tejaas~

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Posted up about this a while back and don't get a single response. Can any of you coin guys recommend a USB-type camera/microscope to photograph coins with? I want to be able to capture fine details for cataloging purposes, but am overwhelmed with the Amazon reviews and whatnot. Needs to be compatible with a new-model IMac... Preferably plug and play. Thanks! ~Tejaas~

I don't have a good camera. For that anyways however I used always use my scanner and they came out pretty good even US dimes but I don't know how big the storage would have to be on a scanned item. To store them all but I did have a cheapo one off eBay that I spent probably $15 on just to try out. I didn't have a problem with that one. I just ran out of good coins to take pictures off so I stopped using it.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Tejaas,

Not sure why it is so hard to get somebody to answer this question. I asked the same thing back several several months ago with no replies. However the microscope that I asked about in my post is the one that I ended up ordering. see my post below.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...s-electronic-coin-microscope.html#post3934737

I am very happy with the overall quality. If you would like to see some of the pics I have taken go to the following post for some large cent pics of overdates.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/c...large-cents-variety-question.html#post4119142

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out opticsplanet.net We bought several usb microscopes from them for blood spatter examination for our forensics/crime scene teams. They run the range from less than $100 up to the sky as the limit...Also, if you are looking for high end, try forensicssource.com They have some high end digital/usb microscopes if you want something more expensive.

Try this link for an example on opticsplanet.net

Celestron Handheld Digital Microscope FREE S&H 44302-B, 44302. Celestron Microscopes.

Mark

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tejaas

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You guys are awesome. I'm going to compare tonight and pick one out.

Thanks again!

~Tejaas~

EasternShoreMetal

Nov 21, 2014
Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro w/DD coil.
also, still have a Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Tejaas; You probably didn't get any response because everyone knows there are so many options and so many points of view. I couldn't help you because my phone takes MUCH better pictures, especially close ups, than my camera, so I knew that wouldn't be any help..
My phone is an older AT&T Samsung with an 8.0 megapixel camera, but it takes awesome low light pics and as I said great Macro images. Sorry can't help more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread