Kennedy Half Error Coin Value ?

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thoughts on what today's value would be ( ball park ) on this half dollar error. Grades MS61. Thanks in advance to all...

"The coin was struck once normally, then was not fully ejected from the
coining chamber - the next planchet was fed into the chamber, under this
piece, and it was struck again.

The reason the reverse 2nd strike doesn't have a die strike on it is
because of the planchet under it, which caused the 'disortion' of the
first strike in that area."

K error 1.jpg .... K error 2.jpg

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value on error coins are pretty subjective. Yours is a pretty dramatic error so should bring a premium to error collectors. About the only way it would bring more money is if it had a full date. Nice find! That thing wouldn't have fit in a coin roll. Where did you get it, out of a full bag?

OP
OP
Cariboo5

Cariboo5

Oct 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Value on error coins are pretty subjective. Yours is a pretty dramatic error so should bring a premium to error collectors. About the only way it would bring more money is if it had a full date. Nice find! That thing wouldn't have fit in a coin roll. Where did you get it, out of a full bag?

I got this from an estate auction some time ago and yes a full date would have been nice how ever I just feel lucky to have it...

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My thoughts given the picture is this coin would end up with a details grade because of the verdigris on the coin.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Error Coin! You may want to consider having the coin Conserved by NGC's Coin Conservation Services before it is sent over to the Graders for grading. In doing so, the verdigris will be stopped from doing more damage and should guarantee a fair grade, both of which, should boost the value of the coin. A Double Struck Kennedy Half with a Brockage on the Reverse, should be worth a very pretty Penny!

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice Error Coin! You may want to consider having the coin Conserved by NGC's Coin Conservation Services before it is sent over to the Graders for grading. In doing so, the verdigris will be stopped from doing more damage and should guarantee a fair grade, both of which, should boost the value of the coin. A Double Struck Kennedy Half with a Brockage on the Reverse, should be worth a very pretty Penny!

Frank

Or you can just "conserve" it yourself with some acetone and a q-tip.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Or you can just "conserve" it yourself with some acetone and a q-tip.

That is an option that the O.P. can take. However, I believe if the conservation was done by NCS and the grading by NGC, this will benefit the O.P. by the boost in value of the coin if an when it goes up for auction or sale. Besides, if the conservation is done by the O.P., it is doubtful that it would be graded by NGC or any other Third Party Grading Service and would only be certified as "Genuine" "Double Struck Kennedy Half Dollar with Second Reverse Strike Brockage" with negative attributions such as "Improperly Cleaned" and "Verdigris" or "Corrosion". The O.P. needs to weigh all of the Pros and Cons and decide which is in his best interest!

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an option that the O.P. can take. However, I believe if the conservation was done by NCS and the grading by NGC, this will benefit the O.P. by the boost in value of the coin if an when it goes up for auction or sale. Besides, if the conservation is done by the O.P., it is doubtful that it would be graded by NGC or any other Third Party Grading Service and would only be certified as "Genuine" "Double Struck Kennedy Half Dollar with Second Reverse Strike Brockage" with negative attributions such as "Improperly Cleaned" and "Verdigris" or "Corrosion". The O.P. needs to weigh all of the Pros and Cons and decide which is in his best interest!

Frank

Sorry Frank but that is just not accurate.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dipping in acetone and rolling with a qtip (not scrubbing, rolling) to remove dirt will not get a coin a cleaned designation.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Dipping in acetone and rolling with a qtip (not scrubbing, rolling) to remove dirt will not get a coin a cleaned designation.

Call me a purist, but the idea of someone playing around with a $300 coin, not knowing what they are doing, is just really not good. You are much better off leaving preservation to the experts.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Call me a purist, but the idea of someone playing around with a $300 coin, not knowing what they are doing, is just really not good. You are much better off leaving preservation to the experts.

I can agree with that aspect. Any normal or lower value coin it can't hurt, but the OP's coin I would let the experts handle it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread