enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy them yourself, eBay, auction or coin show come to mind.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no simple answer - it depends on various facts. However, I have found eBay to be one of the best places to sell most coins. The seller would have to be familiar with eBay and willing to put in the work creating the listings, but once you get the hang of it it's no problem. Some local auctions also bring in decent prices for coin lots and the auctioneer does all the work, but realize that the selling price usually takes into account both the buyer's premium and the seller's commission. Sounds like the coins don't include junk silver, but if they do I've found Craigslist to be a decent way to find buyers willing to pay a fair price for junk silver.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I would probaby go with eBay as well, especially if some of the coins have decent values! If some have less value and so that you don't incur lots of fees for selling them, then you might want to make up Lots and sell these in that manner. Do your homework first and foremost! Get a Redbook to somewhat learn grading, determine the mintages and a somewhat idea as to each coin's value to see which are Key Dates (usually lowest mintages), Semi-Key Dates (fairly low mintages) and non-Key/Semi Key Dates (usually the higher mintages). Then check out current values on PCGS website PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values , Numismedia's website NumisMedia Online FMV Rare Coin Price Guide Index - Retail Fair Market Value Prices for U.S. Rare Coins and sold item auctions on eBay as in this example 1820 dime | eBay as these will give you a somewhat average value of each coin. Take the lower value from all three for the coin you are researching and that is what the coin may possibly fetch at auction. The price a coin fetches, could be higher or lower depending on how good or how bad the coin is and the overall mood of the day with bidders and potential bidders. I usually start Auctions on Friday or Saturday evenings, have them run 7 days and end at the same times on Friday or Saturday evenings. This is when most folks are off from work or are not tied up with weekday business or other stuff and is the most likely days and times when they will bid on items and/or are willing to babysit an Auction they are watching, so that they can snatch the items up in the last few seconds of the Auction!

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

RustyRelicHunter

Oct 5, 2004
SC
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Finding individuals with old coins that they want to sell seems to be getting harder and harder. You really should consider buying them yourself. You will probably wonder about what you missed if you don't at least look at them.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finding individuals with old coins that they want to sell seems to be getting harder and harder. You really should consider buying them yourself. You will probably wonder about what you missed if you don't at least look at them.

I agree

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a search for 'clearwater coin club' and got Clearwater Coin Club . There may be a few more.

Clubs have many resources as well as people with interests other than just coins. I bet that there are a few detector users as well.

Welcome to TNet. We have a lot to offer as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread