Dont you just hate Zincolns? Check this out!

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't you just hate Zincolns? Check this out!

As a detectorist I always end up with crusty zincolns that won't go through Coinstar machines
or that I would be too embarrassed to turn in at the bank, I just HATE them!

That was until now......

So, we all know now that if the copper coating gets damaged, the zinc can corrode from the inside out.
There has even been examples of doing this on purpose >> Hollow Pennies | Very Tiny Things

While going through my drawers, getting ready to down size and sell my house, I found a couple of jars
of pennies I collected in 1983. Back then I was trying to find all of the 7 different varieties of the first
year of the 1982 cents. And that was when I found this: a 1982 d, small date zinc variety.
It had sit in the jar all these years, unnoticed until now.
It is NOT an error coin, in the normal sense, but what I think is a contaminated blank. It has 'blisters' that
I think is the zinc corroding but not breaking through the copper plating. I would like some more
opinions and reach a consensus to find out if it is valuable to a collector. And, what it might be worth.
I will take it to my local coin shop and try to get some better close-ups and post them later.

Here are the pics:
P1010009.JPG
P1010010.JPG

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early days of zincolns there were issues with the plating. Gas bubbles get trapped under the plating. I think it had something to do with the pre rinse. It's not the zinc corroding, they are simply plating bubbles.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
Got_4by4

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the early days of zincolns there were issues with the plating. Gas bubbles get trapped under the plating. I think it had something to do with the pre rinse. It's not the zinc corroding, they are simply plating bubbles.
HH
enamel7

I disagree to a plating fault because they are plated BEFORE they are struck. This had to happen after, from the inside out, don't you think?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they are struck has nothing to do with it. The bubbles are there before they're struck. Striking doesn't make the bubbles go away.

OP
OP
Got_4by4

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When they are struck has nothing to do with it. The bubbles are there before they're struck. Striking doesn't make the bubbles go away.

I'm sorry, but you are WRONG! If you were to strike a "bubble", it would deflate or be deformed by the dies. They would appear 'smashed"! These bubbles raised AFTER it was struck. My local coin shop AGREES with me. And, a value of 'up to' $15.00 was assigned. I will have NO FURTHER comments to make and I suggest you just 'GET OVER IT" thank you all.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As if being shot wasn't bad enough now poor Abe has throat cancer.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, but you are WRONG! If you were to strike a "bubble", it would deflate or be deformed by the dies. They would appear 'smashed"! These bubbles raised AFTER it was struck. My local coin shop AGREES with me. And, a value of 'up to' $15.00 was assigned. I will have NO FURTHER comments to make and I suggest you just 'GET OVER IT" thank you all.

Why the hatred man? I said nothing out of line and told you what my experience is with these coins. I will try to provide a link from well respected experts so you'll know I wasn't making this stuff up. In the mean time please understand that owners of coin shops aren't necessarily experts. I would also sell him all you can.
BTW, be a man! Don't try to punk me then run away! That's a sign of no class.
HH
enamel7

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow such a burst of testosterone. BTW blisters such as this come from playing. We have classic auto bumpers re-plated and if there is anything on the metal in any of the stages of plating blisters form. Happens very often and just so you know zinc is used in the process with bumpers and emblems. Not everyone is an expert, people make mistakes and its just not cool to jump on people like you did. I didn't see any offensive comments made that warranted such an outburst.

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grr stupid autocorrect I meant blisters like that come from plating.

coinman123

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2013
New England, Somewhere Metal Detecting in the Wood
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE (DST)
Spare Teknetics T2 SE (backup)
15" T2 coil
Pro-Pointer
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202
Fisher F2
Fisher F-Point
Primary Interest:
Other
Blister is from plating, it is not like air can magically appear under the plating after it was struck. They make zincolns by plating the big sheet of metal with copper, then that they cut little round penny sized disks out of to be struck as coins. As you see, plating comes early in the process.

Coinman123,

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blister is from plating, it is not like air can magically appear under the plating after it was struck. They make zincolns by plating the big sheet of metal with copper, then that they cut little round penny sized disks out of to be struck as coins. As you see, plating comes early in the process.

Coinman123,

Actually I don't believe that's correct. The zinc planchets are punched out then plated. Otherwise the edge of the coins wouldn't have plating.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let's keep it civil please...

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok I went to the government mint site just to make sure I had my facts straight. Zinc is the main core at 99.2% and the blanks are punch cut from that then taken to barrel plating where .8% copper is added then it's taken to be die struck. There are processes of cleaning and drying in between the playing steps where if anything even the rinse water if left on the blank could result in imperfections in the plating..let's all conclude that means such things as the blisters seen on the original post.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bingo! Now try explaining that to the OP. Or find out where his dealer's coin shop is so I can sell them to him at $15 a pop. Lol!!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
newest and newer zincolns react to most soils this way - they (opposite of IMPLODE)!!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You're a day late TH.
Better late than never..👍

I was responding to post reports, and rules don't have a statute of limitations..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread