Coin Shows - Early Bird Admission

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have attended a couple Whitman coin expo's in Baltimore and plan on attending the Spring expo. I've always used the general (free) admission. I've enjoyed the shows.

I noticed that "early bird" admission is offered for $75. Is the early admission worth spending $75? What's the benefit? Are the dealers really offering great deals on coins that go quickly or do folks just like getting in when it is less crowded?

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It's not so much the "great deal" but rather first pick. I go to the FUN show and it is common practice for a lot of dealings to occur during the Early Bird either with those that pay the admission or dealings with other dealers. For example, I've been working on a classic commemorative collection. My next acquisition will be an Old Spanish Trail half. These don't come around too often graded with a high mint state. The one dealer I encountered said he sold a 65 OST the day before to a dealer that was buying for a customer back in the dealer's home state. I scoured the bourse floor and never found another that met my criteria. Perhaps, next year I'll pay the Early Bird to beat the general attendees and dealers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread