JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if I should send it in for a regrade myself. Seems really nice for a ms63.. Far from a expert though..lol Just going by what I see on ebay some rated higher seem to not be as nice??

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I was wondering if I should send it in for a regrade myself. Seems really nice for a ms63.. Far from a expert though..lol Just going by what I see on ebay some rated higher seem to not be as nice??

It is hard to make a good assessment of any possible grade of the coin from pics! It would probably be best to take it to a couple of knowledgeable and trusted Coin Dealers and get their opinion. From all appearances and from what I can tell from the pics, it is a nice coin and definitely deserves an MS-63 grade but whether it can get a MS-64 or MS-65 is uncertain. I will state that it appears to be somewhat of a weak strike and was probably due to the use of Dies that were in the "Late Stages" of their' life and use. This may have contributed to the Graders only giving it an MS-63 grade but there may be issues that are being overshadowed by viewing pics of a coin in a Grading Service's holder. There is always an option of sending it in to PCGS and hoping for a higher grade or at the least of a cross-over of the same grade into a PCGS holder. While NGC is a well trusted Third Party Grading Service, history of sales generally show that coins graded by PCGS and of the same grade, will usually fetch a premium over NGC or other Third Party graded coins. A person also has to factor in what they have into a coin already and the costs of having it regraded by NGC or PCGS and if the benefits are great enough to warrant the costs. Based on sales since mid-January, just having it crossed-over at the same grade into a PCGS holder, could net an increase in value of 50% or more over what you have in the coin at the present time. In the event that it gets a higher grade, then that is a real win...win situation for you.

Frank

Last edited:

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is hard to make a good assessment of any possible grade of the coin from pics! It would probably be best to take it to a couple of knowledgeable and trusted Coin Dealers and get their opinion. From all appearances and from what I can tell from the pics, it is a nice coin and definitely deserves an MS-63 grade but whether it can get a MS-64 or MS-65 is uncertain. I will state that it appears to be somewhat of a weak strike and was probably due to the use of Dies that were in the "Late Stages" of their' life and use. This may have contributed to the Graders only giving it an MS-63 grade but there may be issues that are being overshadowed by viewing pics of a coin in a Grading Service's holder. There is always an option of sending it in to PCGS and hoping for a higher grade or at the least of a cross-over of the same grade into a PCGS holder. While NGC is a well trusted Third Party Grading Service, history of sales generally show that coins graded by PCGS and of the same grade, will usually fetch a premium over NGC or other Third Party graded coins. A person also has to factor in what they have into a coin already and the costs of having it regraded by NGC or PCGS and if the benefits are great enough to warrant the costs. Based on sales since mid-January, just having it crossed-over at the same grade into a PCGS holder, could net an increase in value of 50% or more over what you have in the coin at the present time. In the event that it gets a higher grade, then that is a real win...win situation for you.

Frank

I have to respectfully disagree with the weak strike Frank check these out for comparison. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/peace-dollars-is-strike-an-element-of-grade.45572/

Last edited:
OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the pic is horrible. I compare it to the other peace dollars I have and it is no lighter than any of them.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are probably right! However, it is hard to make a reasonable analysis of the coin from pics of it in a Grading Service's holder and especially with pics that are not closeups and due to the reflection issues.

Frank

We can both agree on that......:occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread