1972 double die?

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Tho I believe it.
It' s hard for me to see ( not knowing my DD Cents well).
Looks Like it I in In is fatter & Liberty looks a bit off.
Where should I be Looking the most?

Davers... All the letters in "IN GOD WE TRUST" have fairly CW rotation on the doubling and slightly lesser amounts on the Date and "LIBERTY" but with clear Split Serifs. I am having difficulty determining whether the coin is a DDO-008 or DDO-003 as both have somewhat similar CW rotation and the coin does not fit diagnostically to any of the other DDO's for that year and mint.

kygirl... Can you post some close-up pics of the Obverse showing "IN GOD WE TRUST", LIBERTY and the Date. Also, please post close-up pics of the Reverse as well making sure that all sections of the Reverse are shown. I ask this, as each Doubled Die Variety has diagnostics of both the Obverse and Reverse Dies used that will better show which Variety your' coin is. In other words, specific Die Scratches...Die Gouges and Die Polishing marks on the coin and which are unique to the Dies when they were used, should lead to the correct attribution of the Variety. The DDO-008 and DDO-003 Varieties are so close in appearance and especially so during certain times of striking (EDS, MDS and LDS), that without being able to find certain Die characteristics on your' coin that matches these Varieties, it will be hard to determine which one it truly is. While the Copper Coins website shows that they are generally valued the same, this is probably not true as far as actual sales are concerned!

Frank

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'll try my best...I use a scope, but I'll see how far my camera will zoom in....Thanks...give me a bit, just got back from the ol 8 to 5 thang...:)

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20150515_173937.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I am still leaning towards the DDO-008 in MDS (Middle Die Stage/Stage) mainly due to the railroad rim from near the "U" in "TRUST" to around the lapel on Lincoln's dress coat as it seems to match the example on Copper Coins. However, due to the pics being too small and becoming distorted when I blow them up, I am unable to find a single Die diagnostic to either the DDO-008 or DDO-003. Also, when I try to copy and paste them to my' PC to edit them and gain more clarity, I have to convert them as they are not in .jpg, .tif or similar picture formats. This also causes them to go out of focus and distort when I try zooming in. If I get time, I may copy and paste the pics again to my' PC, convert them to .jpg, then transfer them to Photobucket where I may be able to edit them for more clarity. At the present time, I am struggling to take pics of some of my' coins so that I can sell them on eBay.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, I've looked at the coin a b hundred times it seems in the past hour lol, and if I had to compare it to any of them listed...I would say #8...however there are a couple things on my coin that 8 does not but my best guess would be 8, does it still have any value...not really a collector just hunt for fun

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 72 in date has doubling, hard to see but not alot on 19 of date, and liber looks doubled under scope, but not so much on the ty.....

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It appears that your' coin would grade at an EF-45 and my best estimate is that it could have a value of $5 to possibly $15 but could fetch more depending on the day, the bidders (if you put it up for auction), great pics of it and how well you talk it up! Always be honest in your description but don't be afraid to promote the coin. If it were not for the many hits (scratches, nicks and dings) on the Obverse and the heavier wear on the steps of the Memorial Building on the Reverse, the coin might make AU-50 or AU-55 and might fetch more. Eventually and gradually the value of the coin will increase as the Variety becomes more and more hard to find & more and more of them are locked up in someone's collection!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank, I think I may just hang on to all of them...give em to the girls when they get older...I have some more I like to get some info about...for instance I found this 1911 penny, it has a huge gouge going right up the penny and through date...urgh...however it's odd because even with that big on an indent you can still see the 9 all the way in the gouge down in there...is that normal? Lol sorry if it sounds stupid but I figured it would have been cut off....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Frank, I think I may just hang on to all of them...give em to the girls when they get older...I have some more I like to get some info about...for instance I found this 1911 penny, it has a huge gouge going right up the penny and through date...urgh...however it's odd because even with that big on an indent you can still see the 9 all the way in the gouge down in there...is that normal? Lol sorry if it sounds stupid but I figured it would have been cut off....

You are welcome! To be honest, Error and Variety coins can be a hard field of the hobby to get Collectors to respect you and sometimes get decent prices. It is sort of a cliche in the hobby and many folks need to get know you, know that you are credible and/or become a trusted expert.

I sounds as if the 1911 Lincoln Cent was struck through wire or another foreign object! When this happens, often you can see portions of details, lettering or the Date showing through as the Die is pressing through the wire of foreign object as it is between the Die and the coins' planchet. Post some pics of it in a new Thread and we will give our best assessment of the coin and a value if possible. I have found, collected and sold hundreds of these types of Errors and some real nice "Struck Through" Errors can be very valuable.

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would need to see a pic of the 1911 to see what it is.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
At first glance, one would think that the coin has PMD (Post Mint Damage) possibly from Wire Snips (Cutters). However, it appears that could possibly be a fold-over "Struck Through Wire" Error where a piece of wire lands in the Striking Chamber vertically and up against the Collar, then when a planchet is feed into the Striking Chamber and the minting (striking) process begins, a portion of the wire is folded under the coin and the other, folded over the top of the coin. I can't be totally certain that this is what you have but with some really close up pics of the coin and of the subject areas on both the Obverse and Reverse, then hopefully we can determine if it is a real "Fold-Over Struck Through Wire" Error or damage. I have only seen a a couple of "Fold-Over Struck Through" Error coins, so in no way am I an expert on these. However, I am very familiar with "Struck Through" Errors where the coin was struck through only on the Obverse or Reverse and based on the pics, it appears that your' coin was struck through wire. If it is determined with fair certainty that it is an Error, then I would recommend sending the coin to Mike Diamond who attributes Error coins for Coneca and is a coin that Mike would truly have interest in. The Attribution costs are fairly minimal and if it is what I tend to believe it is, then Mike will advise of the next steps to take with the coin. He may recommend having it certified, graded and attributed or make other recommendations. You can find more information and how to contact Mike at the links below. He has attributed some of my' Error coins in the past and we have also traded some Error coins!

CONECA Examination Process

http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_examiners.html

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Frank....I'll take your advice and do that...until them I will try and send some better pics meanwhile, I was rushing around earlier and gotta just took a quick pic, but give me a minute and I'll post them....Thank you

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread