1972 double die?

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20150510_222002.jpg sorry pictures are horrible, but it's the best my phone will do...found while penny roll huntin...:icon_scratch:

moon light md

May 3, 2015
Moses Lake Washington
Detector(s) used
AT pro, 350, 250, fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yes I think your right. looks like a good find from what I can see. if it is about uncirculated my book says its worth about 275.00. so cool gratz

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome....I don't know what grade it would bring...stopped by the bank and got 5 bucks worth of rolled pennies...wooohoooo...thanks :)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes I think your right. looks like a good find from what I can see. if it is about uncirculated my book says its worth about 275.00. so cool gratz
It's a "doubled" die, but it's not the big one, so it's not worth that. There are many doubled dies for that year.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with enamel. It's a lesser known, less valuable Dbl Die, but still an awesome find!
Here's the Die 1 key date:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1431317160.385627.jpg

moon light md

May 3, 2015
Moses Lake Washington
Detector(s) used
AT pro, 350, 250, fisher f2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was just going off my 2014 guide to US coins. the value of a coin is what ever someone will pay for a coin. still cool find.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats kygirl1227 on the 1972-P "DDO" Cent find! While it is a little hard to attribute from the one pic, I believe you found the DDO-008 which has the second strongest CW rotation on the doubling and has the 3rd strongest doubling (CW or CCW) of the 10 known Double Die Varieties.

Frank

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so what do I do not have it graded and just put it out there not knowing what variety it is....

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to the sites Frank mentioned and look them up, or get a Cherrypicker's Guide.

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a cherry pickers guide I bought for 40 dollars but, I'm a beginner and still don't understand all of it....I would like to sell them if they are worth something but I don't do ebay so not sure how to sell them....

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Go to coppercoins.com and you can see photos of each variety. Use the search function and you can figure out which one it is. That's where I check all mine.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to coppercoins.com and you can see photos of each variety. Use the search function and you can figure out which one it is. That's where I check all mine.

Yes, Copper coins (A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage) is a good site but I believe that the values of the Varieties are no longer updated and the site has problems (at least on my computer's browser)! When you click on an individual Variety by clicking on "EDS", "MDS" or "LDS" (those stand for Early Die Stage/State, Middle Die Stage/State and Late Die Stage/State) to view the pics and read the diagnostics, then use the back function to go back to the Variety Listings for the Date, Mint, Variety (i.e. Doubled Die Obverse, Doubled Die Reverse, etc, etc.), for some reason it defaults to a bad page showing an 1865 Indian Head Cent Variety and several of the 1909-P Lincoln Cent Varieties. When it does this, you have to reload the main page and start the search all over again.

Coneca (CONECA) is also a good site but lists no values and you must be able to read Coin Collecting jargon to understand what you are reading.

If the coin in fact is a Doubled Die #8 (FS-108), the sold items on eBay 1972-p doubled die #8 | eBay might help.

No matter what you use to determine the value of your' coin, learning how to reasonably grade your' coins is a must!

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well said Frank! I'm not having any problem with the pages. When was the last time you had visited the site? It had been updated and had some issues. Maybe you're using an old bookmark and that's causing the issue.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well said Frank! I'm not having any problem with the pages. When was the last time you had visited the site? It had been updated and had some issues. Maybe you're using an old bookmark and that's causing the issue.

I went to the Copper Coins website while writing the post above (#13), so that I could ensure I was giving the correct information on clicking on links. Also, I always type in the URL and never use a bookmark for the site. The problem could be with my' browser as I am still using AOL's browser even though I have Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer 11. I plan on dropping AOL to save on costs and I already pay for AT&T U-Verse Internet, so a lot of problems should go away.

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread