1955 d over d?? are they worth anything?

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20150510_221119.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Another nice find kygirl1227 and congrats! The coin appears to be a 1955-D/D "RPM-002" and yes, it is worth something but exactly how much, is hard to determine. The prices in sold auctions for the same coin are all over the place whether they are uncirculated or circulated. Based on these, the price the coin fetches, could be anywhere from $0.99 to $38.95 but it is really up to bidders (if you sell it at auction) and how bad they want the coin for their' collection!

1955-d/d cent | eBay
Note: I did not filter out the other RPM's (Re-Punched Mint Mark Varieties) as some of the one's that sold were not noted per Variety.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think any of the ones I posted are worth sending in to have graded, or does it cost more than what they would bring....I'm not expert, grandpa got me into the hobby...lost it for a while after he passed away, and just happened wanna start again and came across some good finds for rolled bank pennies from ky

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think any of the ones I posted are worth sending in to have graded, or does it cost more than what they would bring....I'm not expert, grandpa got me into the hobby...lost it for a while after he passed away, and just happened wanna start again and came across some good finds for rolled bank pennies from ky

Most definitely not! The costs of having some of them certified, graded and attributed (i.e. Variety noted on the holder's label) may well exceed any price that they fetch. The only possible exception is the Copper Blank but before you even consider having it certified and graded, it must be determined what it is a blank of (a Token, Large Cent or Foreign Coin). Even if it happened to be a Large Cent Blank, the costs of having it certified and graded would take a large chunk out of what it might fetch.

Frank

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'm kind of a newbie but I have found many, and I mean many error coins from huntin but never knew their value or what to do with them...for instance I have this 1935 wheatie that is clearly doubled on the obverse, but when I look it up in one of those coin books its not listed as an error....same thing with many other Wheaties I have that have repunched mint marks, I even have a few 1965 Washington quarters that are clearly doubled as well just on the obverse and ive just saved all of these over the years....but never really new what to do with them until I heard of this forum...but those two I found a couple nights ago...thanks for your advice btw.....I believe I have every wheatie beside the 1922, 1909, and obviously the infamous 1943, most with S mintmarks and alotta duplicate with D. Some of them are brilliant in color, very shiny, especially being found in rolled set from bank.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
So I'm kind of a newbie but I have found many, and I mean many error coins from huntin but never knew their value or what to do with them...for instance I have this 1935 wheatie that is clearly doubled on the obverse, but when I look it up in one of those coin books its not listed as an error....same thing with many other Wheaties I have that have repunched mint marks, I even have a few 1965 Washington quarters that are clearly doubled as well just on the obverse and ive just saved all of these over the years....but never really new what to do with them until I heard of this forum...but those two I found a couple nights ago...thanks for your advice btw.....I believe I have every wheatie beside the 1922, 1909, and obviously the infamous 1943, most with S mintmarks and alotta duplicate with D. Some of them are brilliant in color, very shiny, especially being found in rolled set from bank.

It is great that you have such an interest in coins and especially Error and Variety coins! I started collecting while I was in the U.S. Army in Germany when I found my' first and only 1955-P "Double Die #1" Lincoln Cent there, then later two 1972-P "DDO" Cent Varieties. I have been searching, researching, collecting, buying and selling coins off an on for some 42 years now. Although information on quite a few Error and Variety coins can be found online in Google searches or going to specific websites, some of which I will include below, you still need to have some reference books. I would recommend Volumes 1 and 2 of the CherryPickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties of U.S. Coins by Bill Fivaz and J.T. Stanton but there are others you may want to purchase.

CONECA

A Comprehensive Web Encyclopedia of U.S. Copper Coinage

Ken Potter's Variety Vault Home Page

Wexler's Coins and Die Varieties

The Lincoln Cent Resource

Good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
K

kygirl1227

Apr 19, 2015
Dry Ridge, Ky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for you advice, I do enjoy it but sometimes think things look like something they are not....but more reason to learn....thanks again!!! ;)

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work Frank. Now if I can just get you to say "doubled" die! Lol!!!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice 1955 find!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Good work Frank. Now if I can just get you to say "doubled" die! Lol!!!

LOL, enamel! That ain't going to happen but due to some referring to the 1955-P "Poorman's Doubled Die" Cent or the 1969-S or 1970-S Lincoln Cents with Machine Doubling which are sometimes called Doubled Dies but are not, I might refer to them to make sure that folks know the difference. For true doubling on a coin due to a double pressed image into a Master Hub Die or Working Hub Die that gets transferred to coins, the correct terms are "Double Die" or "Double Dies".

Frank

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL, enamel! That ain't going to happen but due to some referring to the 1955-P "Poorman's Doubled Die" Cent or the 1969-S or 1970-S Lincoln Cents with Machine Doubling which are sometimes called Doubled Dies but are not, I might refer to them to make sure that folks know the difference. For true doubling on a coin due to a double pressed image into a Master Hub Die or Working Hub Die that gets transferred to coins, the correct terms are "Double Die" or "Double Dies".

Frank

Actually Frank the correct term is "doubled" die. The image on the die is doubled.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually Frank the correct term is "doubled" die. The image on the die is doubled.

Maybe I am either losing it or the terms have changed for a coin struck with Dies with doubled letters and/or details! I truly believe and again, maybe I am losing it but when I was really dedicated to searching for and collecting Error and Variety coins before selling my' collection in 2007 which contained some 20,000 or more Error and Variety coins, that the terms were as I stated. It could be that my memory has faded and that I got them bassackwards. Oh well, I concede that you are correct, that I have been wrong and I will try to mend my ways! I am sorry if I led anyone astray!

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No sweat Frank, you're still my favorite and #1 in my book!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks enamel! Now if you were a female, a blonde, good looking and single we could have many dates coin searching and collecting!:dontknow::thumbsup:

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, but I'm only one of those, if I say so myself, and only myself! Lol

Top Member Reactions