Chipped die error? And something else, no idea what it is.

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took this nickel out of circulation back in 1988. After digging out my collection last month, I found it again and now this we have this amazing internet and especially all the learned folks who frequent TN, I can finally get some opinions. 002.jpg

I collected this one around the same time, the obverse is a normally worn 1946 with no mint mark by the date. It doesn't look like solder, even though the picture makes it look like a different metal. Any ideas? 003.jpg 005.jpg

I appreciate any opinions y'all can offer.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    380.9 KB · Views: 103

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too hard to tell in that condition and with just a photograph. It could be PMD early in it's life and through years of wear, now looks like an original mint error. You might take it to a local coin dealer and have them give you an opinion after careful examination under a good loupe.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one looks like a cud. The second looks like solder.

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the input. The 72 looks like a cud to me as well, because the area of the extra metal is raised slightly on the edge and in perfect symmetry with the edge. If the 46 reverse is solder, it's a darn good job of soldering because I can't detect any gap at all. I thought it might be differential metal corrosion, a pocket of copper in the alloy that was being attacked by another constituent and bubbling up the outer layer. But it's endured in this condition for over 25 years without flaking or worsening. I'll take them both to a dealer and set what he has to say.

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could the reverse blistered from being heated up?

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
think both are solder and there is some on the back. Perhaps silver solder. Have seen this before and done it years ago to test to see if the soldering iron was hot enough.

pull_tab21

Feb 9, 2012
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah looks like solder on it. May have been used in jewelry making, like a bracelet.

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would have to be silver solder then because it's not soft enough to be electronics solder. Maybe someone was trying to make cufflinks or something. Appreciate the input.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The 1972-D Nickel definitely has a Die Break Cud from about K-4:30 to around K-6:30 that overlaps Jefferson's shoulder. The 1946-P Nickel is probably Post Mint Damage from some type of solder but it is hard to tell due to it's condition (i.e. dirt, grime and wear).

Frank

OP
OP
S

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1972-D Nickel definitely has a Die Break Cud from about K-4:30 to around K-6:30 that overlaps Jefferson's shoulder. The 1946-P Nickel is probably Post Mint Damage from some type of solder but it is hard to tell due to it's condition (i.e. dirt, grime and wear).

Frank

Thanks for the input Frank. I agree about the 72-D. And you explained it very well. What struck me about when I first found was that the extra metal perfectly joined the bottom of Jefferson's bust with the edge, totally covering the artist's initial. When viewed from the edge the cud is slightly higher in profile than the bust. Any ideas on collectability or possible value? I'm thinking maybe a few bucks to someone who collects cuds.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the input Frank. I agree about the 72-D. And you explained it very well. What struck me about when I first found was that the extra metal perfectly joined the bottom of Jefferson's bust with the edge, totally covering the artist's initial. When viewed from the edge the cud is slightly higher in profile than the bust. Any ideas on collectability or possible value? I'm thinking maybe a few bucks to someone who collects cuds.

Just check sold listings of Jefferson Nickels with Cuds on eBay to get a possible value. However, with most things, the value of such a coin is what a Collector is willing to pay to own it!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread