Story better than coins

Spaceman Spiff

Sep 1, 2015
Texas
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Discovery 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was on a business trip to China in 1998. Had to pull a 100 hour inspection on one of our helicopters and change the starter ring gear as well as re-rig the tail rotor. While I was in the Beijing area, my handlers took me to see the Great Wall at Badaoling. I climbed up to the third watchtower, which was the highest point in the area. Never seen so many people in my life. On the way back down, I was getting hassled by vendors. One was a guy who kept trying to tell me he had silver for sale. He wanted about 80 of their funny money for these, which was about ten American bucks (for the three). 008.jpg 009.jpg

I wound up buying them, figuring they were fakes but they were cool and I was tired of having the guy in my face. On the way back to Beijing, I showed them to my handlers and they laughingly told me I had been bamboozled. They are pretty obviously plated bronze or brass. Still nice memoirs of the trip. I'll have to show y'all pictures of the soviet coins and the (probably fake) cash coins I bought on my second trip to China in old Manchuria, within 600 miles of the Russian border.

Thanks for looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions