True Canadian Rarity... How did this even happen?!

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, EQ 800, AT-Pro, Xterra-505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello to all of my TN Friends and friends to be.

So yesterday while out with the wife, we came across a flea market.
Some of the venders (well, most) were selling (or trying to) Hockey cards and baseball cards. Some older diecast cars and that type of thing.

Then, my oh so amazing best friend and partner in crime comes across a coin table. HELL YES!

Guy said he just purchased most of it from a large estate sale out of province and this is the first stop.

I LIKE THAT.

So i start looking, has a 1000 cool older coins, a few 58 flying eagles and then i see the canadian.
I see this little guy that says error... "How much" I ask?

He looks at me, asks what it is and i tell him some 1931 error Penny. He looks at me and my small stack of coins and says "$25 for all you have there"

S C R O E.

I hadnt even looked at the other side to see what the error even was... Check this out.

A 1931 / 1933 Penny... No face/ Effigy... What did i just buy for $5?!

Also got...

1841 Province of Canada / Montreal Token in great shape.
1911 Fish scale dime in VF/EF condition
1888/7 Canada large cent
1937. Nickel in VF/EF
1936 Fish scale dime in VF

all for $25. Not a bad day at all....

No idea what i would even see for value with the 31/33 penny error. looks like a 1:1,000,000,000 to me... 20151004_105733.jpg 20151004_105701.jpg 20151004_105713.jpg 20151004_105747.jpg

and its rotated 20% or so.... W E I R D

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe if you take it out of the 2 x 2 and look carefully at the edge, you'll find that it's two different coins put together. The George V side has been ground off both coins (or they were cut in half) and they've been soldered together to make a tail's only coin. If you drop it on the counter, it will sound funny. These are sold as novelty coins. Keep it in your pocket and you'll always win a coin flip if you call "tails"!

Here's a website advertising such coins, even though they are American: Two Headed and Two Tailed Coins - Jake's Marketplace, Inc.

Scott

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not the case for this guy, though. It's a solid and fully intact coin. no bevels, weighs 3.11g i believeand sounds like a penny when dropped.

Might I have a true 1 off coin?

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you take it out of the 2x2 and take some better pictures including the edge?

aj

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There have been times when some funny things happened at mints around the world. If you REALLY think it is an error, I would certainly send it in for authentication.

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill try and take some pictures for sure of the edge.

Even if its a fake, 5$ i think is fair for a convo piece that you likely wouldnt see again.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that it is likely a faked 1931/1933 Canadian Cent sometimes called a Magician's Coin but it is probably worth $5 as a Novelty Coin! In reality, a coin with two Obverses with different dates cannot happen without a Mint employee's help and even then, it should not be possible as the retired previous year production Dies almost always locked away until they are destroyed. The only time previous year's Dies are pulled out, is in the case where all of the current year Dies have failed and a previous year's Die may have to be used to continue production for the current year. If it is an Obverse Die that has the Date re-cut to match the current year, then this can result in an Over-Date but even then, these are most often only one year off from each other (such as 1931 over 1930 which results from the last digit being re-cut on an Obverse Die).

Frank

OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate the input to this thread. took it out and looks clean, but if it is a phony, meh. was 5$
Everyone that sees it is just so confused. I really appreciate the help, and thought about the whole Die and how they are stored and not ever really used.
Has anyone ever bought a MINT Die? Can you?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I really appreciate the input to this thread. took it out and looks clean, but if it is a phony, meh. was 5$
Everyone that sees it is just so confused. I really appreciate the help, and thought about the whole Die and how they are stored and not ever really used.
Has anyone ever bought a MINT Die? Can you?

There have been records and information of some early U.S. coinage Dies and some other Countries' Dies being sold in the past. However, these were likely discarded and found or stolen and then sold. It would be unlikely to be able to obtain coinage Dies from any country nowadays as there is too much counterfeiting being done and most if not all Countries have safeguards to protect against the misplacing, theft and sales of coinage Dies as well as strict Laws prohibiting the sell or purchase of these.

If you feel that our assessment of your' 1931/1933 Canadian Cent is wrong and you want a professional assessment, then send the coin to one of the Variety or Error Coin Attributers with Coneca found at the links below. They will inspect and analyze the coin and write you a detailed analysis of your' coin which will be included when the coin is returned to you.

Coneca - Attribution Services

CONECA Atrribution Process

http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_attributers.html

CONECA Examination Process

http://conecaonline.org/content/coneca_examiners.html

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bquamb

Bquamb

Dec 29, 2014
Vancouver Island
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, Much thanks to you for your research.

Im just gonna hold onto it and believe deep down its real, even if not. looks good on the outside but does have some silver/solder to the front face. MEH!

Thanks everyone!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread