What is this gold coin?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
About the size of a quarter. From Great Britain. 1872. Any info? I'm lost.. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444701225.136525.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1444701241.952200.jpg

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not offer much without knowing if it was real. If it was authenticated then I would go to what the gold is worth or a little over.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I won't get into the fairness of the price you should pay for the coin! However, if genuine, it is a collectible coin which has some value above the value of the Gold it contains. I have included some links below for help in determining whether the coin is a genuine Gold Sovereign but even these may not help as some very excellent counterfeits of these coins are out there and it is one of the most counterfeited Gold coins in the world.

Gold Sovereigns - Technical Specifications

Counterfeit Gold Sovereign Examples

Victoria Young Head St. George Reverse Gold Sovereigns

http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/1872sovereignyhstgeorge.html

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I'd offer him nothing until the coin is authenticated, rated and slabbed with a clean 'bill of health'.
Otherwise, it would be like buying a car without first checking to see if it at least had an engine.
Don...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely I'm not going to buy it. Because I want to keep it and I need to resell it. So maybe another day. I'm not sure they want to sell it either so I was just trying to find out a value for them on it.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The last thing I would do with a gold sovereign is slab it. Talk about a big waste of money. These are very common, even that old. Slabs are the biggest waste of money. I collect colonials and first thing most colonial coin collectors do when encountering a slab is to break the coin out and throw the plastic away. Slabs are great for the crooks that tell you some common Morgan dollar in MS 67 is worth 2 or 3 or 10 times what an MS 66 is. Slabs are a bunch of crap. Kind of worth as much as a JD Power & Associates rating in my opinion, nothing.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
You can see if it is gold by weighing it and checking the weight against the standard. I would not pay extra for Rare date based on that auction. It seems to be based on a mint mark. Either way, They are cool coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread