Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Dug this curious copper/bronze coin :dontknow: inches from a Philip IV 4 reale that I recovered earlier this year. Initially it appeared unassuming until light cleaning revealed a raised impression of what looks like a lion. It is fairly crude and I'm still not convinced as to what it is. It is slightly larger than a dime and more of a struck lump than a symmetric coin. My gut is that it may be a maravedis coin. Any help with an ID is greatly appreciated!

20151103_222730_resized.jpg 20151103_222647_resized.jpg 20151103_222748_resized.jpg 20151103_222801_resized.jpg

S

stefen

Carnival coins have raised images...

Not saying it is one, but its a possibility worth investigating...

Lets hope its not...

jan nielsen

Dec 3, 2014
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't look like a maravedis, are you sure that it is not a button?

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Carnival coins have raised images...

Not saying it is one, but its a possibility worth investigating...

Lets hope its not...

The image is stamped rather than raised, and certainly unlike any other button I've recovered. Two of the edges on the front of appear clipped as well. Thanks for taking a shot

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kinda looks like a bale seal ?

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few things strange about your coin-- if it's hammered (as in pre-1700) and just dime sized, I would say its a 1556-1665 2 maravedis, BUT, those don't have the crouched lion on it-- they have monogram on one side and castle on the other. If I remember correctly. QUESTION: is the coin thick, lumpy and sturdy..... or thin, lightweight, somewhat brittle? If the latter, I have another theory just based on what I THINK I might see (which would be a really really really cool find if it was the case).

coachbedford

Jun 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if it was thin, maybe brassy...I was going to say it had the visual look of a 1616 Hogge Money Somers Island coin. But those aren't thick and lumpy, at least not that I know of. Unless the small ones were! I assume you cannot see anything on the reverse? Barring a rare Hogge Money coin, I suppose a very corroded Spanish 1600s 4 maravedis could still be a possibility if the outer edges were worn down, thus shrinking the normal diameter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread