cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even in AU50 it would be worth 2-3 times what you paid for it. Nice buy!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Came back. AU55. Darn!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447790602.112317.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1447790639.479898.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The guy that sent it in for me offered $350 for it.

Figures and he would have made a lot on the coin considering that certified and graded 1904-S Morgan Dollars in AU-55 are selling on eBay for 70% to 80% more than PCGS' and NGC's Price Guides show for that grade. I would bet that if you had sold it to the LCS Dealer, he would have dipped the coin in some type of cleaner before he sold it or before he sent it in for certification and grading as you can see mint luster under the toning on the Reverse and the Obverse is likely the same but just not discernible in the pic.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you Frank for your information. I listed it on eBay for $750 buy it now or best offer. It kills me not to keep it. i'm not even sure what they really go for but it's like your first car you don't want to get rid of it no matter how much the offer is!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Frank for your information. I listed it on eBay for $750 buy it now or best offer. It kills me not to keep it. i'm not even sure what they really go for but it's like your first car you don't want to get rid of it no matter how much the offer is!

You are more than welcome! Although prices have been up and down and up and down on these Key Date Morgans, I believe your "Buy It Now" price is way too low. The coin at the link below was graded by PCGS, is one grade below your' coin and your' coin appears to have better eye appeal and yet, the one at the link still sold at a "Best Offer" of $1,170..

1904-S $1 Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS AU53 /K-718

Frank

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this your eBay coin?

1904 S Morgan Silver Dollar NGC AU 55~ 90% Silver Coin.

I've put it on my watch list to see how you do. Keep your fingers crossed. You know what would have been really fun?...start the bidding at $0.99 with no reserve. It's surprising how high the prices get when a bidding frenzy occurs.

aj

Last edited:

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's his coin, all right. The serial number is the same. I'm glad you raised the buy it now price based on Frank's assessment.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this your eBay coin?

1904 S Morgan Silver Dollar NGC AU 55~ 90% Silver Coin.

I've put it on my watch list to see how you do. Keep your fingers crossed. You know what would have been really fun?...start the bidding at $0.99 with no reserve. It's surprising how high the prices get when a bidding frenzy occurs.

aj

Yep, some of the higher price items I have to put on my wife's eBay account. I took out a loan through PayPal so I have to pay back higher premiums so the higher stuff I sell on hers!

Hey looks like I could put that buy it now up a little higher too.

.99 cent start is crazy! But way better then the $450 offer I just got for it!

I'm doing 100 auctions on my site and her so I combined. So I think I'll wait till you're done to determine how bad I need to sell this coin.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the last 10 auction results from Heritage and Stacks $750 was right on the mark. Pcgs price guide for this grade is $775, and you now have a pcgs graded au 55 example listed $75 less than yours. Then again the coin frank mentioned sold for $1059...so looks like supply is low at least on ebay.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got an offer for $300 on it. With a long winded explanation as to why I won't ever get any more than that. Even though I turn down an offer for 450 and 500. As of right now it's the only Morgan dollar have left. Until January!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Based on the last 10 auction results from Heritage and Stacks $750 was right on the mark. Pcgs price guide for this grade is $775, and you now have a pcgs graded au 55 example listed $75 less than yours. Then again the coin frank mentioned sold for $1059...so looks like supply is low at least on ebay.

Yeah, normally I would have quoted the $775 from PCGS' Price Guide and the $840 from Numismedia's Price Guide and averages from eBay but three graded 1904-S Morgan's in AU-53 to AU-55 have sold for over a $1,000 in less than a month's time from Sep. 15th to Oct. 5th, so that shows a trend. This trend may not hold for BK and his' coin but I believe it is worth his time to wait and see and even a few other Sellers with coins in the AU range are also taking a chance by listing their' coins higher! Worse case scenario would be to change the listing to a normal Auction, start it at $750 and hope the bidding goes crazy. If it only sells at $750, he is still way ahead of what he paid for the coin and for the certification, grading and slabbing.

1904-S Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS AU53 San Francisco Mint Key Date Coin S$1 RARE!

1904-S Morgan Silver Dollar S$1 NGC AU55

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or should I just put it in my safe and pull it out in 15 years on my daughter is ready to go to college? Because this kind of seems like a better option I don't know!

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Or should I just put it in my safe and pull it out in 15 years on my daughter is ready to go to college? Because this kind of seems like a better option I don't know!

Honestly, I believe it would be better to sell it for what you can get out of it and then purchase as many Silver Bars and Silver Rounds as possible with the funds and store them away! When the crap hits the fan and it will whether it is war or famine or Oil in the thousands of dollars per barrel, collectible and rare Silver coins will no longer have any intrinsic value above their Silver content. During these times, inflation will hit the roof...paper money and most of the coinage will be for the most part worthless and you will only be able to purchase food, fuel oil and other needed items by bartering with Silver, Gold, Gems and items that others need. Even if I and many, many others are wrong about a "crap hits the fan" scenario, Oil prices will eventually go through the roof, inflation will really be high and Silver...Gold...Platinum and other metal prices will hit values of tens to hundreds of times of what they are at now or have ever been. Also, Silver is the better investment as always has and still tends to gain more value than other metals during rises!

Frank

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I believe it would be better to sell it for what you can get out of it and then purchase as many Silver Bars and Silver Rounds as possible with the funds and store them away! When the crap hits the fan and it will whether it is war or famine or Oil in the thousands of dollars per barrel, collectible and rare Silver coins will no longer have any intrinsic value above their Silver content. During these times, inflation will hit the roof...paper money and most of the coinage will be for the most part worthless and you will only be able to purchase food, fuel oil and other needed items by bartering with Silver, Gold, Gems and items that others need. Even if I and many, many others are wrong about a "crap hits the fan" scenario, Oil prices will eventually go through the roof, inflation will really be high and Silver...Gold...Platinum and other metal prices will hit values of tens to hundreds of times of what they are at now or have ever been. Also, Silver is the better investment as always has and still tends to gain more value than other metals during rises!

Frank
Sooner or later, so they say. By then I'll need a large bank vault to store my stacks in. lol.

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, normally I would have quoted the $775 from PCGS' Price Guide and the $840 from Numismedia's Price Guide and averages from eBay but three graded 1904-S Morgan's in AU-53 to AU-55 have sold for over a $1,000 in less than a month's time from Sep. 15th to Oct. 5th, so that shows a trend. This trend may not hold for BK and his' coin but I believe it is worth his time to wait and see and even a few other Sellers with coins in the AU range are also taking a chance by listing their' coins higher! Worse case scenario would be to change the listing to a normal Auction, start it at $750 and hope the bidding goes crazy. If it only sells at $750, he is still way ahead of what he paid for the coin and for the certification, grading and slabbing.

1904-S Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS AU53 San Francisco Mint Key Date Coin S$1 RARE!

1904-S Morgan Silver Dollar S$1 NGC AU55

Frank

Not to burst any bubbles here, but none of these coins sold for the Buy It Now prices; they sold for less. That's why the line is through the price. Perform a sorted search (highest price first) of 1904 S Morgan dollars in AU condition, and you'll see that these three coins sold sold for greater than $599 but less than $1750. The two higher priced ones ($1750 and $1995) are graded in a higher condition. My GUESS would be that this coin would sell for no more than ~$750. For your sake Beachkid23, I hope it sells for much higher, but, in my opinion, the chances are low.

aj

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread